Friday, November 10, 2006

BE A RAINBOW

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE

And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life.
Genesis 9:12 - 15

BE A RAINBOW

We have worked for years, managing the farmland owned by Starr Commonwealth, a Children’s Charity in Michigan and Ohio. What started as a job became a passion. We admire and support what they do for troubled youth and the lives they have touched for 90 years. Each year they have a Founders Day that features a guest speaker. We were fortunate to hear Maya Angelou. Dr. Angelou is a fantastic speaker with a voice that draws you into the soul of what she is saying.

Dr. Angelou sang, recited poetry, but mostly encouraged us to be “rainbows.” She explained that the stars and sun and moon are great, but it’s the rainbow that breaks through the clouds. We then heard about the rainbows in her life: Her grandmother took her in when her parents divorced, an uncle taught her to learn and a teacher gave her direction. We heard why she quit speaking, for five years, and how her grandmother, again encouraged her. Rainbows are the rays of hope that come after the clouds. She then challenged us to become rainbows. Rainbows to all who have clouds in their lives.

This all got me to thinking. You can be a rainbow in someone’s life. You can also be an anchor, a harbor, a breeze, a challenge and a path.

Are you an anchor? Sometimes you are the one thing a friend or loved one can hold onto. Are you a harbor? When clouds come and someone is adrift in doubt, or in fear, or in loneliness, you can be their safe harbor.

Are you a breeze? Sometimes you just say one word, or one prayer, or even one smile, a quick, almost un-noticed gesture, like a breeze felt on a cheek, but that word, or prayer or smile is just what is needed.

Are you a challenge? Just a word, deed or insight might challenge someone to be better than they think they can be.

Are you a path? You may be the path that shows someone the way home, the way back to their family and friends or the way to God.

Be a rainbow. Be an anchor. Be a harbor. Be a breeze. Be a challenge. Be a path.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Who has been a rainbow, an anchor, a harbor, a breeze, a challenge or a path to you? Who have you helped by being their rainbow or anchor or harbor or breeze or challenge or path?

LET US PRAY

Hello God, You have sent so many people into my life. Just the right person was there to help when I was making decisions. Others gave me encouragement and challenged me to grow in my faith. Show me how to be a rainbow, an anchor, a harbor, a breeze, a challenge and a path to others. Let me always appreciate those that help me and open my eyes and heart to those I can help. Today I thank you for ………………………………… Amen

No comments: