Friday, November 17, 2006

DO YOU REALLY MEAN IT?

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE

Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

“Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments.”

“Which ones?” the man inquired.

Jesus replied, “Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother, and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

“All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

Matthew 19:16-22

DO YOU REALLY MEAN IT?

One night our granddaughter, Kailyn, and our grandson, Matthew, were staying overnight. They had fun all afternoon, as only cousins can. They enjoyed crazy pancakes for supper, took their baths and were ready for bed. Off to bed they went. Hugs, kisses and lights out. As Bill and I sat in our easy chairs, we could hear them laughing. I would have been very disappointed if they had been quiet and gone right to sleep, but I was not prepared for them to come downstairs.

Matthew was in the lead and asked - with a straight face - "Did you mean for us to stay in bed?" "Yes," I answered. "Should we go back to bed?" "Yes," I answered again. Off they went, back to bed.

How often do we treat God this way? God gives us an answer and then we ask, "Do you really mean --
-- for me to treat all the people nice? Even the ones I disagree with?"
-- for me to give a tithe for your work?"
-- for me to sit in the pew next to the teenager with orange hair?"

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

How often do you pray and than ask God to come up with an answer you like better? When have you tried to negotiate with God?

LET US PRAY

Dear God, Am I like the rich man? Do I pray for answers and then walk away. Why am I so afraid to trust your wisdom? Why do I continue to think I know best? Show me the way. Today, Lord, let me listen to you. Let me trust you as you guide me to ………………………………… Amen

No comments: