Friday, August 06, 2010

WHICH ROAD DO YOU TAKE?

This has been a very hectic week because we took off for three days to see a friend in Canada.

IMG_2593

Traffic at the Michigan/Canada border crossing.

IMG_2602

No traffic on this road.

IMG_2676

A partridge looking for a pear tree.

As I was looking at these pictures, I thought of Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken."

I will be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Frost asserted, "You have to be careful of that one, it's a tricky poem - very tricky."

He commented, "It does not moralize about choice, it simply says that choice is inevitable, but you never know what your choice will mean until you have lived it."

We had a choice to go to Canada and it took us 50 minutes to get across the border. The people traveling into the USA were backed up clear to the Canadian crossing. They waited much longer. We lived with the result of this choice but it impacted another choice. When we came home, we got up REALLY early and made it across in about ten minutes.

The second picture is always my choice of roads. I love back roads. Roads where you cannot see anyone in front or behind you. Roads where you can stop and take a picture of -- A picture of a partridge wondering what that crazy lady is doing.

My Christian journey is similar to our recent adventure. Sometimes I get stuck. I don't understand. I am at a standstill. And it takes me moving ahead a little at a time until the ole brain kicks in and God checks my passport and says, "Okay, move on down the road."

Sometimes I am on my Christian journey with others. And sometimes I am on the road less traveled. The road less traveled gives me quiet. And peace. And time.

And just like finding a partridge out in the middle of the road, I find God's gifts.

TODAYS SCRIPTURES:

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matthew 7:13-14

As is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet: "A voice of one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him. Every valley shall be filled in, every mountain and hill made low. The crooked roads shall become straight, the rough ways smooth. And all mankind will see God's salvation.' " Luke 3:4-6

QUESTION OF THE DAY

Which roads do you take?

LET US PRAY

This week, talk to God about the roads you have been on. Have a good long, heart to heart with Him. You will both enjoy your time together.

No comments: