Friday, October 29, 2010

HIGH WINDS

TODAYS SCRIPTURES:

They were terrified and asked each other, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!" Mark 4:41

But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. James 1:6

HIGH WINDS

We had high winds this week. Tornado warnings. School children sitting in the halls. Hospitals moving patients to safety. From my kitchen window, I saw a few leaves blowing and a bit of wind. "What is all the fuss about?" I wondered.

Then my husband called and told me barns were blown over and roofs were coming off buildings. Now I knew what all the fuss was about.

How wonderful a breeze is on a hot sticky day. How frightening the wind is on a day when trees fall. Or, as the disciples feared, when waves could sink ships.

The disciples were amazed that Jesus could make the wind obey. What gives here? Would they never get it? They were with Jesus and they were still surprised! They asked, "Who is this?"

Are we any different? We are tossed around, waves of life washing over us, and we say, "Jesus, where are you?" Then Jesus comes and lifts us off our knees. We are then like the disciples and say, "Who is this that can calm the winds in my life."

Will we always ask, "Who is this?"

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Where and to whom do you turn when the high winds blow through your life? Do you find the calm after the storm?

A BLESSING AFTER THE STORM

IMG_3052

LET US PRAY (Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.)

Dear One who the winds obey, Strengthen my belief so I am not tossed here and there by the winds and the waves of life. Remove all doubt so I do not ask, "Who is this?" Remove all doubt and make my belief so strong I say, "This is Jesus, my Lord and Savior, the Son of God. He died for my sins. He lives for all of us. This is Jesus Christ who can calm the winds of my life and the waves that threaten my soul.

When the gentle breeze or the high winds blow, let me always say, "I am safe with the one who the wind and waves obey." Amen and Amen

No comments: