Friday, June 03, 2011

45 YEARS, 364 DAYS AND COUNTING

Thinking back to June 3, 1965 I remember not being nervous at all. In my mind I picture a very young, 18 year old girl preparing for a very big day: June 4, 1965: MY WEDDING DAY!

For just a moment, close your eyes, take a deep breath and picture a wedding. Okay. Got it? Did you picture a wedding gown with a long veil? Flowers and candles? A packed church? If you did, you are so wrong!

We were married on a Friday evening, in a small Methodist Church with only our families present. How much time did I take off work for our wedding? Friday and Monday! That is what Bill and I both wanted and I have never regretted not having a big, traditional wedding.

Friday, June 4, 1965 was a busy day. I actually had my hair done! We picked up the flowers. And we - nope that was it. Oh, guess the 4th wasn't that busy. I'm not sure what Bill did to prepare. After the wedding, we were going back to his mother's to have cake and punch, so I imagine he helped her get the house ready and probably picked up the cake.

My dad walked me down the aisle and, as we were getting ready to take that first step, he said, "If you want to change your mind, I'll take you out the door instead." No way!! Down the aisle we went.

IMG_1601

Our service was very short. Our minister, Rev. Sam Boyle, read the proper words, pronounced us Mr. and Mrs. and sent us down the aisle.

IMG_1597

Just so you can check out the styles and I can stop, look and remember here are pictures.

IMG_1598

My parents

IMG_1599

Bill's mother, Uncle George and Aunt Nelle

IMG_1600

Maid of Honor, my sister Jean, and Best Man, Jim

Yes, this is the complete wedding party.

Today's blog does not have a deep message. There are no questions for you to ponder. I think I just wanted you to share in our anniversary. I want you to know God's blessings can begin on a Friday evening in a small quiet church.

One young girl walking toward one young man,

standing before an altar and

saying, "I do."

I am thankful I walked down the aisle and not out the door. Bill is the very best gift God has ever given me. We began our lives walking side by side and that is how we have traveled the path that began June 4, 1965.

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: GENESIS 2: parts of 20-24

But for Adam no suitable helper was found. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

My very gracious God, Thank you for my Bill. Amen

No comments: