Friday, June 17, 2011

THE GIFTS OF GOD

One morning I sat in the courtyard, at our church. What a wonderful, peaceful place for prayer, surrounded by flowers, a blue sky and the cross towering over the church. Surrounded by gifts from God! As I sat in the courtyard, I pictured the altar stacked high with packages. Each wrapped perfectly. Tied with colorful bows. All sizes. All shapes. And never ending. No matter how many received a gift, the altar was never bare. The pile of gifts never got smaller. There were always gifts waiting to be taken.

I wondered how God feels when his children come to take a gift. Is he happy that we want his peace? Is he thrilled when we take faith? Hope? Charity?

We can make a long list: Peace. Patience. Grace. Mercy. Salvation. Trust. Courage. Healing. Faithfulness. Self - Control. That list could go on and on. And each of us would put different gifts on the list. Gifts we would like and gifts we have received.

As I sat there, a simple idea began to form for the next time I spoke at church. Everyone needs to know about God's gifts. I wanted to tell that sometimes the gift, when opened, may say yes. But it also may say no. All the "normal" things we call gifts from God popped into my mind, but God had another idea. God wants you to know about all his gifts.

Last Sunday I delivered the message and, over the next three weeks will tell about some of the not-so-obvious gifts.

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: John 4:6-14

Jacob's well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well.

It was about the sixth hours. When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, "Will you give me a drink?" (His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.)

The Samaritan woman said to him, "You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink? (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.)

Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.

"Sir," the woman said, "you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his flocks and herds?"

Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

G

Living Water - Oh, my friends, that is only the beginning of the gifts God has for us.

TRIALS: God, may I put that one back. I don't want trials. Life is so complicated now. Why have you given me trials? - May I put this one back? I don't want trials.

As much as we hate trials, they do come and we learn from them. We learn to give care to a loved one, showing tenderness and compassion. We learn to allow others to help us. And we all learn when we stand with our family and friends, helping them through their trials.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. James 1:2

GENTLENESS: Now that is more like it. Gentleness is a great gift.

What a blessing. What a gift when God gives us gentle words which we can use to comfort others. Or a gentle touch when caring for a loved one. What a gift when God's gentleness wraps around us.

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Ephesians 4:2

HIDING PLACE: That is a strange gift. Or is it?

Have you ever just felt like the world was too much? Like you just needed to get away? Away to a place that was safe? Away, alone, just for a bit? Have you ever wanted to get away to a place where you could take a deep breath, close your eyes and forget your troubles?

You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. Psalm 32:7

Hiding place is not a strange gift after all.

Enough for today. Next week will be soon enough to find out about other gifts God has prepared for you.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

How would you feel if you went to the altar, selected a gift, opened it and found trials? Would you think that was a gift you wanted to keep? Would you want to keep gentleness? Have you ever wanted a hiding place?

LET US PRAY (Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.)

To the giver of gifts, Thank you for each gift I receive. For those, like trials, that I do not appreciate until long after the trial is over and for those that I willingly accept, like gentleness. Thank you for being there when I need a hiding place. God, please open my heart and my eyes so, unlike the woman at the well, I will see your gifts. Amen

No comments: