Friday, August 12, 2011

OLDER SON: “I WANT THE PRODICAL SON’S FATHER.”

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: Luke 15:20, 28

But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him.

OLDER SON: “I WANT THE PRODICAL SON’S FATHER.”

When I turned the radio on, the minister was giving his take on the Parable of the Lost Son and again I thought, “Wrong.” Can you stand one more time on this subject? I do believe this is the most discussed, most preached, most one sided parable there is. Let’s get the given out of the way: Yes, this is a parable about us coming home to God. Coming home after we have taken his blessings, wasted them, hit rock bottom and hoping we will be forgiven.

My problem is that I think the older brother is getting a bad reputation he does not deserve. I do not think he is mad about his brother coming home. I do not think he is even mad about the fattened calf. He might have been a bit upset about the ring, but who knows for sure.

I think he was upset because he wanted his brother’s father. He wanted a father who was so excited to see him that he would run to meet him. He wanted a father who loved him enough to throw him a party. Not one that said, “My son you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But…” You see, it is the “But” that causes the problem. He wanted his brother’s father. That father did not say “but” to the lost son. That father just showed love!

From the first time this parable was told, the older brother was the bad guy. I just don’t agree, because I know how he felt.

You see, I wanted my brother’s mother. There were four of us and my mother had one child. My brother! He could do no wrong. He could be late for a family dinner and we all had to wait. If he wanted something mother had – even if one of us girls had given it to her – she gave it to him. My brother’s mother showed him love! Love I felt I did not get.

One time I asked mother about this. “Why do you love my brother most?” Her reply was, “There is just something about your firstborn.” When I asked, “What about your second, third and fourth born?” she had no reply.

I know my Creator, my Father, my God loves me unconditionally. He loves all His children equally. But I am like the misunderstood older brother. I did not want the “but”. I just wanted to know that this third born was loved as much as the first.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Are you the prodigal son? Are you the older brother? What do you feel when you read this parable?

Most children have issues with their parents. Some we leave behind in childhood. Some we carry with us into adulthood.

I no longer carry resentment or bitterness and, when my time comes to go back home to God, I will be thrilled to see my parents and my brother again.

What feelings toward your parents or siblings do you have? Good? Bad? Somewhere in between? Talk to God. Believe me, it works.

And remember: GOD HAS NO FAVORITES! GOD LOVES US ALL! EQUALLY!

No comments: