Friday, November 11, 2011

LETTERS - A DAD I NEVER KNEW

(Brief background: At the time dad was drafted, he had a wife, a son and a daughter. I am the ‘I-am-home-from-the-war’ baby and a few years later another daughter joined the family. November 11, 2010 blog was also about these letters and how my hubby’s name was in them.)

LETTERS

They had always been there in mom and dad’s closet, but we never looked at them. And dad never talked about the war. Dad died in 1972, mom died in 1998 and the letters just sat there - unread until the fall of 2010.

As I began to open and copy the letters, a strange thing happened. I received a glimpse into an enlisted man’s life and I found a man I never knew.

Dad was in basic training in Camp Wheeler, Georgia. Dad, prior to service, was a mechanic, truck driver and had bad feet. Guess where the army placed him. Yup, in the infantry. His letters told about walking. And walking. And walking. And very, very sore feet.

Dad tried to explain what basic training was like and told about new friends, skunks in their barracks and KP duty. When dad arrived in Germany, his letters contained fewer details, because he could not give specific information. Dad did tell about meeting children, being lucky enough to have a heating stove and having his buddies shot. Dad mainly asked about mom, Kenny and Jean. Dad’s letters used the word love. And that is the dad I never knew.

Worlds and worlds of love, dearest, love you millions and love written big and bold were in each letter. And yet, I have no memory of ever hearing my father tell me that he loved me. I always thought that was a generalization thing until I read these letters. He knew how to write that word! What happened between putting that word on letter after letter after letter and speaking it when he came home?

I have always wanted to hear my dad tell me that he loved me. In a way, the reading of these letters has accomplished that. How? Not sure. I just know that somewhere between unfolding the first letter and now, I found a dad I never knew. A dad that did love his family whether he could say it out loud or not. Somewhere, while putting a letter back into its envelope, I heard my father say, “And I love you too.”

Today, as I think about these letters, I want to thank and honor all VETERANS and THEIR FAMILIES.

SCRIPTURES

He appointed military officers over the people and assembled them before him in the square at the city gate and encouraged them with these words: “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged because of the king of Assyria and the vast army with him, for there is a greater power with us than with him. With him is only the arm of flesh, but with us is the Lord our God to help us and to fight our battles. And the people gained confidence from what Hezekiah the king of Judah said. 2 CHRONICLES 32:6 - 8

Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. PSALM 144:1

What a world this would be if the word war was never heard again! What a world this would be if no son or daughter, no husband or father, no wife or mother, no sister, brother or friend was ever sent to battle again!

Until that happens, let us honor those that serve and appreciate the families that support them.

LET US PRAY (Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.)

Lord, today I offer prayers of thanksgiving for the men and women who are willing to defend and protect our freedoms and our country. I pray you give them strength, courage, safety and Your power as they face evil around the world. Lord, I ask that you give comfort to the families as they maintain a home. Lord, never let me take for granted the freedoms I have or ever forget those that protect and defend me. Amen

No comments: