Friday, November 18, 2011

GIVE THANKS

Thanksgiving is almost here so, of course, this will be on giving thanks.

SCRIPTURES

I will give thanks to the Lord because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High. Psalm 7:17

Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. Psalm 100:4

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

GIVE THANKS

We are told to give thanks to the Lord. We are told to enter his gates with thanksgiving. We are told to give thanks in all circumstances. Give thanks - oh, this could be fun!

MY THANK YOU PRAYER:

Lord, thank you for ice cream. Don’t know how ice cream was first thought of. Guess I could Google that, but I just want to thank you for ice cream. I especially like vanilla because it has such possibilities. Vanilla is good on pie and cake. It is good with root beer poured over it. It is good with chocolate, caramel and marshmallow crème on top. Yes, Lord, thank you for ice cream.

Lord, thank you for mud. There is just nothing like squishing my toes in mud after a nice summer rain. And it makes the neatest sound when I pull my feet out. Yup, mud deserves to be on the list. Thank you.

Lord, thank you for knee high nylons. What a pleasure to put those on, under slacks, instead of fighting with a pair of panty hose. And, if my skirt is long enough and I watch how I cross my legs, those knee highs will work just fine. Bless you for giving someone a creative mind and that mind coming up with knee highs.

Lord, I so enjoy magnets. Have you gazed upon my refrigerator and freezer? Or the door in our office? Or the file cabinet behind me? Magnets! The pictures of our grandchildren are on the office door. (What a treat that is to see them watching me work. Do you have my picture sticking around somewhere?) My file cabinet has business cards, a cow, a cross, two angels, a scripture (Do I get brownie points for the angels, cross and scripture?), notes and a calendar. The magnets on the refrigerator reflect where we have traveled or give me good advice. Thank you for magnets.

Lord, when I enter your gates with thanksgiving, I am absolutely going to say thank you for toothpicks. You just have no idea what it is like to have a tiny, tiny seed caught between your teeth. And that seed is always stuck where my tongue cannot get to it! What a relief when a tooth pick is handy! Thank you that someone looked at a sliver of wood and thought, “Wonder if that would get that seed out of my back tooth?”

Lord Most High, I am thankful for family, friends, home. But Lord, I thank you for all the little joys you place in my everyday life: Ice Cream, Mud, Knee High Nylons, Magnets and Toothpicks. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you and Amen.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

Relax. Take a deep breath. Smile. Now: WHAT ARE YOU THANKFUL FOR?

HAVE A BLESSED THANKSGIVING!

No comments: