Friday, May 05, 2017

RAIN, GIGGLES AND LAUGHTER

Last weekend three other ladies and I headed to a “Girl’s Getaway Weekend” in Hannibal, Missouri. 

We started making plans for this weekend a month ago.  Motel rooms were reserved.  Getaway bags ordered.  Added to the bag was a crazy light up glass which could be filled over and over.  (With water of course.)  We were sure the band would be loud.  We studied the activities the merchants had scheduled.  We were ready.

One of the things we have absolutely no control over is the weather, so we started listening to the weather channel.  We kept our eye on the weather app.  Rain Friday.  Rain Saturday.  Rain Sunday.  OH MY GOODNESS!  What do we do? 

Well, duh!  We got in the car, of course.  We drove in the rain.  We got out of the car.  We lifted our umbrellas high.  And we got wet.  REALLY WET!  We had a blast!!!!!

We giggled as we stuck our heads through a picture board and made silly faces.  Oh, you never get too old to make silly faces.  Especially when your head is stuck through a sheet of plywood!

We made earrings and bought popcorn.  We bought chocolate too.  Remember, chocolate is a food group!  We took a Haunted Hannibal Tour.  Two of the girls climbed the stairs to a lighthouse and came back extremely wet.  I have perfect timing and decided to fill the car up with fuel during a break in the rain.  That break lasted long enough for me to get out of the car.  Not long enough to fill it up.  I changed clothes when we got to the motel.  I think those jeans are still wet.

We laughed as we shared stories.  So much fun being girls, lying across the beds and saying, “We really should go to sleep.”  Made us all remember those slumber parties from when we were silly teenagers. 

Then we drove home – in the rain.

Making plans was fun.  It gave us something to look forward to.  There was rain but there was joy.  Sorta like my Christian life.

I know where I am going!  There will be rain and there will be joy as I travel the road toward my final destination.  There will be friends to lighten my burden, when it is more than I can carry.  There will be friends to share in my joys.  There is one who always has His eye on me. 

Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.  I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.  And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look!  God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them.  They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.  ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes.  There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”    Revelation 21:1-4

Do you know where you are going?  Are you making plans now?  Do you have a church family and friends who will walk beside you?  Do you talk to the one who always has His eye on you?

May your journey be full of joy
and

may you always find support and love when it rains.

No comments: