Friday, October 13, 2017

NOTE TO URBANA YOKE PARISH:  I wrote this and had it set to post before hearing Pastor Larry use this poem last Sunday.  I guess we both have good taste in poetry.


The Road Not Taken (1916) 
by 
Robert Frost
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.

This has been a favorite poem of millions and millions of people.  Apparently, one of the most googled poems.  I learned this poem in school, an extreme number of years before google.

In July, when on vacation, we drove by a church in Bennington, Vermont.  Hubby is used to me saying, “Oh, look at that church.  Let’s stop.”  Stop we did.  The First Congregational Church was beautiful inside and out, but what fascinated me was the cemetery. 







And then there it was.

The grave of Robert Lee Frost.

Immediately a poem I had not thought about in years tumbled into my mind.  For the rest of the trip, every time I saw a lane or path my mind thought about roads not taken.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = 

You make known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
Psalm 16:11

God does have a path for each of us.  It is a joy when God is on the path with us.  It will be a pleasure when our path leads to eternity.




God has a path for each of us.  And we do not walk that path alone.

No comments: