Friday, May 18, 2007

GIFTS FROM GOD

(Introduction to today's devotional: This blog actually started because I tried to get a book of devotionals published. I was told, "These are good but there are so many devotionals on the market that getting published is almost impossible." I found out one thing -- To get published, you need to already be published. Then I had an even better thought -- If I do a blog, anyone can read it. Free! If you have read this blog since I started posting, you have pretty much read the book I envisioned. Last week was the last devotional. This week is how I would have ended the book. OH, DO NOT FEAR -- I PLAN ON CONTINUING. (You are not going to get rid of me that easy.) Now I get to start writing new ones. I AM EXCITED.

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: Psalm 145 (Please read the whole scripture. Quoted are verses 1, 2, 6 and 7)

I will exalt you, my God the King; I will praise your name for ever and ever. Everyday I will praise you and extol your name for ever and ever.

They will tell of the power of your awesome works, and I will proclaim your great deeds. They will celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness.

GIFTS FROM GOD

God has given me so much; I don’t know where to begin. He gave me things before I was smart enough to realize they were gifts from Him. I am continually amazed by this world. Trees and who would have ever thought of frogs? Turnips yes, but spinach? And how does a calf know where to look for the milk supply? This world -- one wonder after another. All I have to do is open my eyes and look. I know that God gives me a new day as the sun comes up and watches over me at night when the sun sets.

And the giving does not stop there! Looking back, I realize God gave me help and strength when things were tough. Those times when I was not sure about God or had to face the loss of a loved one. When I had to give care to someone ill, God was giving me strength. The tough times are when my faith grew.

And it does not stop there! God gives me opportunities beyond belief. He gives me the opportunity to help others. So many people need help because of floods, tornadoes, abusive home lives, or just bumps in the road. He gives me the opportunity to tell others, so that God’s story reaches each of his children. God gives me the opportunity to praise Him. Prayer is such an easy thing -- a word of thanks spoken quietly or joy coming clear from the toes or a plea for help sent with head bowed.

You know what? These are not gifts God only gave to me. God sent these gifts for all of us. FOR YOU.

And it does not stop there! God gave us the beginning of His church. A foundation on which to build. A church where we can fellowship. And sing. And hear the word of God. And study. And grow in the faith.

And it does not stop there! God gave us His Son and offers us eternal life!!!

I write these devotionals because God gives me the words. If I had to rely on myself, there would be just blank pages.

*I hope, within these devotionals, you find a reason to smile.
*I hope you find some moments of peace and rest.
*I hope these devotionals touch your soul.
*I hope you are changed. That you will want to reach out to others who need your help, who could use a friend.
*I hope somewhere on these pages you find a word or a phrase or a thought that brings you closer to God, that deepens your faith.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

No questions today. Just my thanking you for reading my blog. For being a part of my faith walk. For sharing my life.

LET US PRAY

Dear Lord Jesus, Today I want to thank you for each person that enters this site to read your words. I am but one of your children and my prayer is that you will use me to encourage others. Please continue to give me words so that others receive the strength they need to get through the day. Words so someone will feel less lonely. Words so someone will smile. Words so someone will come to You. Bless and enrich each person that reads this. Give them peace in their soul. Give them your protection. Give them the courage to stand up for their beliefs. Give them the assurance that you are the Alpha and the Omega. The Beginning and the End. Amen

No comments: