Friday, September 28, 2007

BUT I WANT WHAT THEY HAVE

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: EXODUS 20:17

You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

BUT I WANT WHAT THEY HAVE

"Did you see the house they built down the block? Twice as big as any in the neighborhood. And did you see the car they are driving? Man, I wish I could afford something like that." or

"I work really hard and never seem to get ahead. I do my job right, not taking any shortcuts. And I'm honest. But look who got the promotion. They make mistake after mistake and are never called on it. Now they get the office with a window." or

"Look at little miss 'dressed like a model' coming to the grocery store and trying to act like the rest of us." or

"I just don't know about the future. Other people have big retirement benefits and insurance. Not me. I have had to work for every penny I have. Will I have enough, as I get older? Will I have enough to take care of myself?"

It is hard not to look at what other people have. How other people live. How they dress. How their children behave. How many friends they have. This could be a very, very, very long list. It just seems like someone else always has more.

Maybe, just maybe, we are looking in the wrong direction. Maybe we should look at what we have instead of what we don't have.

That fancy house and car -- are they paid for? Does that family work so hard to pay for the house and car that they have no time to live? Maybe, just maybe, there is someone looking at your house wishing they could afford such a grand place.

That promotion -- would you do your job differently just to get ahead? Would you be dishonest? Would you let someone else take blame for the mistakes, just so you would look better, or would you take credit for someone else's work? Maybe, just maybe, there is someone trying to get ahead and would be thrilled to have your job. Or any job.

That 'dressed like a model' -- is it really her fault that she has the genes to be thin? Or maybe she never had children and has never had the joy of extra maternity pounds. Maybe, just maybe, there is someone out there looking at you, at your confidence, and wishing they felt that comfortable with themselves. With how they look.

The future -- Thankfully, we do not know what tomorrow will bring, so is it really worth missing today to worry about what someone else has? And remember, someone may be looking up to you and wondering if they will ever be able to retire? Or go on a trip? Or just have the time to sit under a tree?

"You shall not covet …………"

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

What do you have in your life that another person would love to have? Do you take time to be thankful for your home? For your family? For your health? For your job? For having time to sit under the tree?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

God, You told us in the very beginning of the Bible that we should not covet. That we should not be envious of what other people have. Teach me to see the blessings I have and not compare them to what other people have. To how other people live. God thank you for ………………………………… Amen

No comments: