Friday, April 18, 2008

BLOWING BUBBLES

TODAY’S SCRIPTURES:

O Lord, I call to you; come quickly to me. Hear my voice when I call to you. May my prayer be set before you like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice. Psalm 141:1-2

Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all the saints, on the golden altar before the throne. The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of the saints, went up before God from the angel's hand. Revelation 8:3-4

BLOWING BUBBLES

The sun is shining today. Thank you Lord! The rain and dreary skies were getting depressing. I just hope this is a sign that spring is finally here. I know one thing -- It is a sign that I can get out the bubble stuff.

When the grandchildren come to visit, they head straight for the bubble-blowing bucket. It is full of different sizes of bubble wands. We can blow big bubbles and small bubbles. We can fill the sky with bubbles. All reflecting the light in every color imaginable. I enjoy blowing bubbles as much as the kids, maybe more. And bubbles have been good therapy.

I can remember when our children were small and they had behaved less than admirably. Or days that were less than perfect. Some days were downright lousy. Or times when things broke, like the washer, just when I needed them. Or times when -- You know what I am talking about -- Stress! Pressure! Frustration! On days like that, out came the bubbles.

Bill used to say that if he came home and I was sitting on the step blowing bubbles, he knew he better go around the block a few more times.

Bubbles as therapy? You bet. I would put that ole bubble wand into the bubbles, take it out and blow. At first, I would blow hard. Bubble after bubble. Those bubbles would race toward the sky. Up. Up. And then it would happen. I would blow slower and watch. The bubble would drift up and float away. Then another. And another. I would suddenly realize that I was no longer stressed. It was if the bubbles carried my troubles with them. I would always blow a few extra. Then I would put the lid on, tight, so there would be no chance of spilling my therapy. I would take my new attitude, get up off the step and face life again. Bubbles as therapy? Yes.

I am 61 and I still blow bubbles if I have had a really rough day. The scripture tells us "smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of the saints, went up before God from the angel's hand." The bubbles are my incense. I first blow hard and send my frustration upward. I send up my concerns. I watch the bubbles rise. Taking my stress with them. Then I lift my hands high as I blow more bubbles and watch them slowly ascend. A calm, peaceful rising toward heaven.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

How do you relieve stress?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

My refuge and my strength, Sometimes life just doesn't go as smoothly as I would like. People will just not cooperate. And the phone keeps ringing. And now -- If only. If only. Oh, Lord, help me when I get frustrated. When I feel stressed. When I feel pressure. Teach me how to send up bubble prayers. Prayers that will rise to you. Prayers for calm to come into my life. Prayers to be understanding and patient. And when I finish my prayers, allow me to arise and face life. Face life full of the knowledge that you are my refuge and my strength. …… Amen

No comments: