Friday, July 23, 2010

READY. SET. SEW.

TODAYS SCRIPTURES:

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10

Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountains! For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones. Isaiah 49:13

READY.  SET.  SEW.

Grandson Nathan told me he would like to learn to sew. So, sew we did.

There was some thought and preparation put into his first project. What material should he use? What should he make? There were questions. Would he really enjoy sewing? Since it was not a computer game, would he stick with the lesson and project?

The material was easy. Inexpensive cotton, with a baseball print would be easy to work with. The decision of what to make was also easy. A pillowcase requires few seams and they are all straight. A good beginning project.

Our lesson began by looking at the material and pillow I had purchased. (Why do these projects seem to require an outlay of cash from grandma?) They passed inspection, so the lesson began.

I won't make you wonder. Yes, he did enjoy the project and yes he did stick with it, although I did hear a few, "How many more practice seams do I have to do before I can start sewing on my pillowcase?"

So, sew on his pillow he did.

IMG_2456

He trimmed the threads.

IMG_2457

He tried out his new pillow.

IMG_2458

Today Nathan learned a lot.

He learned someone had prepared everything he would need to accomplish his goal. He learned the pillowcase did not make itself and that he had to work. As he laid his head down, he found comfort.

Hum. Sorta like our Christian life. God has prepared everything we need. But -- our goal can only be accomplished when we accept and use the items God has prepared for us. And, during the process, God gives us great comfort.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

When you have a project, do you get everything ready before you start? If it is a new project, one you have never tried before, do you practice on "scraps" before you start on the real thing? How do you feel when the project is complete?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

O God, you have given me everything I need to become a true, believing child of God. Your inspired words, written by man, and held in my hands are like a pattern to follow. Using the Bible, I am constantly learning how to make my life's seams straighter and how to saw just the right length of board I need to build my foundation strong. I know you are not practicing on me and you do not consider me a disposable scrap. I know I am very dear to you. I know you want me to learn. To work. To believe. To follow Your Son, Jesus Christ. I know you want me to find the comfort only You can give. Amen

No comments: