Friday, February 03, 2012

1099 FROM GOD

It is beginning to arrive! The dreaded TAX INFORMATION: W-2’s. 1099’s. Receipts for donations. Interest statements. With each piece of paper, I check my records.

Are there any missing? Do the numbers agree? The tension is rising! Will we owe more taxes? Could there be a refund? (Hey, I still believe in miracles!) Am I ready to call the accountant to schedule an appointment?

No, there seems to be something missing? Did I get a 1099 from God? Surely I did enough in 2011 to warrant a 1099. After all a 1099 is for any goods and services over $600 and I know I did more than $600 worth of work for God last year. Could there be a mistake? Better check on this.

Oh, I think I got this backwards. God doesn’t owe me a 1099. I owe God one.

Box 1: Rents - “God, what figure do I enter? After all, I am taking up space on the world you created. Would the IRS believe you do not charge rent?”

Box 2: Royalties - “God, I read your book. What royalties do I owe for reading the Bible?”

Box 3: Other Income - “God, this one is really hard to figure: ‘prizes/awards/winnings when not for services performed’. How do I report the value of a sunset? Or rain needed for the garden? Or the hugs from grandchildren? Or answered prayers? Or - You are a gracious God and have given me so many prizes. What value do I enter in Box 3?”

Box 14: Legal Fees - “God, I have skipped boxes 4 - 13. I am so confused. The IRS will never understand a 1099 to God. They will think I am nuts. They will audit us for sure! But God, I came to Box 14. My heart skipped a beat. ‘Fees paid to an attorney for legal services’ - Fees paid to defend me? God, I do not want to fill in this box.”

SCRIPTURE: JOHN 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

1099 TO GOD

Box 14: Legal Fees - “God, it is hard to fill in this box. Fees paid to defend me: The life of your Son. Thank you.”

No comments: