Friday, January 24, 2014

WHO SAID MY NAME?

(Based on 1 Samuel 3:1-19)

Can you see her? Over there. Alone. Tears streaming down her cheeks. Head bowed. Moving her lips with no sound coming out. She barely can stand. She is completely defeated. She is barren. Her prayers are for a child.

Hannah pleaded, "O, Lord. If only I could become pregnant. All I ask for is a child. A child to hold and love. A child to nurse. A boy, Lord. A boy I would give to you."

Finally realizing Hannah is sincere Eli, the priest, told her to go in peace and may the God of Israel grant your prayer.

Fast forward. Samuel was born and Hannah took her son to Eli. (Hannah had been true to her word and, after Eli, she was blessed with three sons and two daughters.)

Samuel grew and Eli trained him well. Then one night, as Eli slept and Samuel was ready to nod off, Samuel heard a voice, "Samuel." I imagine Samuel jumped right up, throwing the covers to the floor and ran straight to Eli saying, "Here I am."

Eli, waking from a bad dream about his rotten sons, was a bit confused and quickly explained to Samuel, "I didn't call you. Go back to bed."

This happened three times! Maybe I shouldn't imagine exactly what Eli said the third time. Oh yes I should. As Eli sat up the third time, the light bulb finally went off.

Eli understood now and said, "Why Samuel it must have been the Lord saying your name. Go back to bed and, when you hear the Lord calling you, tell him you are listening."

Now my imagination kicks in again. Picture Samuel laying there. Waiting. I doubt if he went back to sleep this time. He waited for the Lord to stand beside his bed and talk to him.

This time Samuel knew exactly who called him when he answered, "Here I am."

IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU

Samuel was called four times, but it was not until Eli told him it was the Lord and after he had heard the Lord's voice that he knew who said his name.

It could happen to you. You could be called by the Lord and not know it.

What if you heard your name called in the middle of the night? You're asleep and you hear your name. First you would wonder what is wrong. Is someone sick? Who called me? My spouse? My children? And if you live alone, it would be even scarier. Were you dreaming? Do you go back to sleep?

"But I heard my name," you think as your eyes stay open.

Samuel heard his name. Then the Lord stood beside his bed. And called his name again.

How do you hear the Lord speak? Do you hear him with your ears or with your mind or with your Spirit? If you have never heard the Lord's voice, how will you know it? How will you recognize it?

I firmly believe if the Good Lord wants you to hear him call your name, you will hear it with your ears! He has the ability to be audible. But I believe the Lord speaks to you in so many other ways. And when he speaks - when he calls your name - when he gives you a chance to say, "Here I am." - he may be speaking through a sermon, a friend or through an enemy. He may speak to you through a book. He always speaks to you through his Holy Word, the Bible.

Did you notice the circles in Samuel's story? His mother called to the Lord and then the Lord called to Samuel. Eli heard the mother's prayer and then told Samuel to hear the Lord.

Samuel heard because he had been taught and prepared to hear.

Are you prepared to hear? Will you recognize the Lord's voice? Are you ready to say, "Here I am."?

No comments: