Friday, May 30, 2014

JOE: TALKS AND KEYS

JOE

Joe and I worked auctions together. We packed out houses. We set up sales. We laughed and talked and laughed some more. Joe was the go-to-guy during the auctions. "Joe, could you go get a sheet? Thanks." "Joe someone is going through other peoples stuff would you go tell them to stop?" "Joe…" "Joe…"

We had an agreement: If one quit, so did the other. One day Joe told me he was not going to hold me to that agreement because he was ready to quit. You see, Joe's health had started to fail and, being a STUBBORN man, he would not go to the doctor. Among other health issues, he lost his eye sight. One of the ways Joe coped was to distance himself from people. I regret that I allowed him to do that. I should have been stubborn and kept calling.

TALKS

I just loved talking to Joe. He told me all about his "froggie." He loved Becky and his family. I told him about my family.

Being the same age, we talked about good old rock and roll music. We rarely talked politics. We often discussed religion.

Joe told me about Viet Nam and my heart broke with his memories.

Joe talked about fishing and being out on the lake.

We talked whenever we had a break and I sure did miss him when he quit.

KEYS

At the graveside service, all I could picture was Joe's keys. He had a set of keys that would open just about every door, drawer and cabinet imaginable.

"Hey, Joe, this drawer is locked. Think you can open it"? And out came the keys. He would eye the drawer. Size up the key hole and look at his keys. Sometimes he picked the right key the first time and sometimes it took more than one try, but almost always Joe would have a key that fit.

I realized Joe had used his final key. I picture him going right up to those gates and saying, "I know this is the key to eternal life."

I picture those gates swinging wide as Saint Peter says, "Yes, Joe, you have the right key. Come in."

___________________________

QUESTION:  Do you have the right key?

No comments: