Saturday, February 20, 2016


I FORGOT

The minute she opened the door, I knew she had forgotten I was coming.  Her eyes had that “deer in the headlight look” as she let me in.  Immediately she said, “Oh, no.  I forgot to write it in my main calendar.”

The next comment sent me right back out the door.  She continued, “The children are sick, one has pink eye really bad and is contagious.  I am sorry I forgot and did not call you.”

I quickly assured her it was fine and to let me know when the children were better.  I waved at the little one and left.

I meant it when I said it was fine.  Everyone forgets something once in a while.  Although I remember appointments, there are things I forget.

My forgetting would probably go something like this:

Walking to the door, I wondered who it could be because I was not expecting anyone.  Most likely someone selling something.  Not cookies, because the scout cookies were already in the pantry.  Maybe someone passing out information on the election, but our election is not until May so that would not make sense.  The doorbell rings again, as if to say, “Did you hear me?”

I unlocked the door, opened it and immediately had the “deer in the headlight look.”  How could I have forgotten?  Just that morning I promised to spend time with this person.  But you know how the day goes.  Mail.  Those games on the iPad.  Extra time at the coffee shop.  Fixing dinner.  A nap.  The TV show recorded from last night.  How could I have forgotten?  How could I have been so busy?

“Come in,” I whispered.  Slowly closing the door behind my guest, I knew I was …..

Then my guest said, “Mary, let’s just sit and talk for a bit.  Tell me about your day.  Your joys.  Your pain.  Tell me how it feels when you watch the sky.  Bill loves to hear you ‘rattiling on like a junk car’ and so do I.  Mary, let’s just sit and talk for a bit.”

Yes, it was easy for me say it was fine.  Because it was fine.  The woman needed to attend to the children more than she needed to worry about my inconvenience.  She had to set her priorities.

But what priorities do I set?  “Today I will ……

Today I will just sit and talk for a bit.  But first I will apologize for forgetting.  For being too busy. 

Today I will just sit and talk for a bit.  “Yes, come in.  I have time.  Jesus, today the clouds were blowing by so fast.  It was like they were having a race.  And did I tell you about ……..”

 

No comments: