Friday, April 06, 2018

A SIGN

Hubby and I stayed in Orange Beach, Alabama.  This is the hotel sign, at the bottom of the steps, leading to the beach:


 I love this!  Someone with a great sense of humor prepared this sign.  It got my attention.  It made me think.  It made me laugh!!

Don’t ya wish God would put signs up for us? 

=   =   =   =   =   =   =   =

Noah did not even have to look for a sign.  God told him exactly what to do:

So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them.  I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth.So make yourself an ark of cypress wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out.  Genesis 6:13-14

Noah listened as God continued to explain exactly how to build the ark.  And, bless his heart, Noah did exactly as instructed.

/   /   /   /   /   /  \   \   \   \   \   \

Moses was a busy man taking care of the sheep.  Before he could talk to Moses, God had to get his attention.  Watch out Moses.  Your life is about to be seriously changed.

There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush.  Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up.  So Moses thought, “I will go over and see this strange sight—why the bush does not burn up.”

 When the Lord saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, “Moses! Moses!”

And Moses said, “Here I am.”              Exodus 3:2-4

Quotes from Exodus 3:11, 13 and 4:1, 10, 13

·         But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”
·         Moses said to God, “Suppose I go
·         Moses answered, “What if they do not believe me or listen to me
·         Moses said to the Lord, “Pardon your servant, Lord.
·         But Moses said, “Pardon your servant, Lord. Please send someone else.”

If you have ever questioned the patience of God, these verses should open your eyes to exactly how patient God is.  God is talking to Moses.  Get it?  The LORD is calling his name from inside a burning bush and Moses keeps asking him questions. 

Moses asks the LORD to send someone else!  The scripture says that “the Lord’s anger burned against Moses.”  Yet a patient LORD continued to give Moses instructions. 

/   /   /   /   /   /  \   \   \   \   \   \

Saul was also a very busy man.  He was hunting down and persecuting followers of Jesus when a bright light stopped him in his tracks. 

As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him.  He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?”

“Who are you, Lord?” Saul asked.

“I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” he replied.  “Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.”

 The men traveling with Saul stood there speechless; they heard the sound but did not see anyone.   Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes he could see nothing.  So they led him by the hand into Damascus.     Acts 9:3-8

Well now, doesn’t that beat all?  Jesus picks Saul!  And what a job he had for Saul:  This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel.  Acts 9:15 

Some believers trusted and supported Saul.  Some did not.  But Saul was a new man – Paul proclaimed Jesus to all! 

=   =   =   =   =   =   =   =

Noah went to work on the ark.  Moses reluctantly did God’s bidding.  Saul moved from darkness into light.  What will you do when God picks you for a very specific task?

I think the first sign needs a bit of improvement.


No comments: