Friday, April 12, 2019


GETTING READY – Part 2
Scriptures are from Matthew 26:36-46 unless noted

Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, “Sit here while I go over there and pray”  He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled.  Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.  Stay here and keep watch with me.”

PRAYING

“My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.  Yet not as I will, but as you will.”

“My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”

An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him.  And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.  Luke 22:43-44

We hear over and over that Jesus felt everything as a “human” and this scripture certainly backs that up.  What if this passage is reworded for us to pray?

My Father, I do not want ________ (cancer/illness, to be a widow/widower, to fail, to see a loved one hurt, etc.).  Please do not make me go through this but your will be done.

I must admit, my prayers go more like this:

            My Father, I know you have a plan but, really, you are going to heap this on me too?

My Father, I pray this surgery heals our daughter.  Be with the doctors and the nurses and give them skill and wisdom.

            My Father, ……………………..

Thy will be done --- where did Jesus find the strength to pray these words?  He knew the plan.  He knew what was ahead.  Thy will be done --- he prayed.  His sweat like drops of blood.  If Jesus was in anguish, …If the Son of God was overwhelmed with sorrow, how do I find the strength to use the words they will be done?

SLEEPING

Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping.

When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy.  So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing.

Then he returned to the disciples and said to them, “Are you still sleeping and resting?  Look, the hour has come, and the Son of Man is delivered into the hands of sinners.  Rise!  Let us go!  Here comes my betrayer!”
How many miles had the disciples walked with Jesus?  How many hours had they listened as he taught?  How many times had they witnessed the lame walk and the blind see?  How many fish did they pass out to the crowds? 

Jesus asks them to sit and wait while he prays.  This seems like a simple request.  I wonder if Jesus had even begun to pray before the disciple’s eyes closed in sleep. 

I can relate to the disciples.  Many times I have fallen asleep while holding a sick child.  Many times I have fallen asleep in the middle of saying a bedtime prayer.    Yes, I can relate to the disciples.

UNDERSTANDING

Jesus woke them and said, ”…. Look, the hour has come, and the Son of Man is delivered into the hands of sinners.”

Can you picture the confusion as the disciples woke up?  Can you hear them mutter, “What is Jesus talking about?”  or  “Did I miss something?” 

Even minutes before Jesus was to be arrested, they did not understand. 

Do we?  Do we understand how Jesus could pray, “…thy will be done.”?  Do we understand the whole Easter story or do we want to only understand the time after the cross?

No comments: