Friday, June 14, 2019


THE WINDOW

Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” 
Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.  Yet not as I will, but as you will.”
He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”
When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy.  So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing.

Matthew 26:36, 39, 42, 43-44

How many times have I read and heard these verses?  If I started at age 7, that is a minimum of 65 times and, most likely, at least three times a year for 195 times.  What do I envision when I read or hear these verses?  I see this:





Most people know this image.  The color of the robe may change, but Jesus is praying, a ray of light shines from heaven, and the disciples sleep.  My heart hurts when I think of Jesus saying, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.  Yet not as I will, but as you will.”

I can relate to the disciples.  My bedtime prayers often end with sleep instead of Amen.  I can have good intentions but my body gets tired.  My breathing slows, my eyes close, and sleep comes without even realizing I fell asleep. 

Yes, this is the image I have had since childhood – until last week. 

The Old Cathedral, in Vincennes, Indiana, was built in 1826 and stands on the site of three previous churches.  The stained glass windows are breathtaking.  Then I saw it!  I wanted to turn away, but I could not.  Why had I never realized – the Cup!



JESUS TOOK THE CUP!  And the angel handing Jesus the cup is crying!  I cannot imagine handing Jesus the cup.  Knowing what the cup held – how could the angel not cry?

JESUS TOOK THE CUP!  He is looking up.  His hands are reaching for it.  Knowing what the cup held – Yet not as I will, but as you will.

JESUS TOOK THE CUP!  Then he returned to the disciples and said to them, “Are you still sleeping and resting?  Look, the hour has come, and the Son of Man is delivered into the hands of sinners.  Rise!  Let us go!  Here comes my betrayer!”    Matthew 26:45-46

I now have as new image in my heart and, in my soul, I hear, “Mary, are you still sleeping and resting?  Rise!  Let us go!”

As I have often said, I have no idea where my path leads, but I know there is a cup with my name on it.  That cup contains God’s will for my life.  And I am not to sit on my hands.  I am not to turn away.  I am not to say, “Nope.  Ain’t gonna do it.”  I know what I am to do.

I am to reach out and take the cup.
I am to rise.
I am to go.
I am to obey.

No comments: