Friday, December 04, 2020

 

WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, WHY, AND REALLY

PART 1:  ZECHARIAH

A minister was giving a sermon on the catching of a lot of fish.  As he spoke, he noticed one man really listening.  Hanging onto every word.  He stood a little taller thinking, “I must be giving a great sermon.”  The service was over and the man stepped up to the minister and asked, “Who cleaned the fish?”

I had a similar experience.  No, I was not giving a great message.  I was teaching Sunday School and referenced a message I had given on the 23rd Psalm.  I talked about the table before my enemies.  Then, one of the men looked at me and asked, “What was on the table?”

WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, WHY, AND REALLY...  It seems there are always questions to be asked.  And so it is with the Christmas Story. 

ZECHARIAH – LUKE 1:5-20

Zechariah was righteous in the sight of God.  I do not know how he managed to do this, but he and his wife, Elizabeth, observed all – ALL – of the Lord’s commands and decrees blamelessly.  Sadly, they had no children.  Zechariah was serving in the temple.  It was an honor to go into the temple and burn incense, while the worshipers prayed outside. 

The scripture says, “Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him.”  The word then is not dramatic enough.  Then she went to the store.  Then they had supper.  The appearance of an angel requires trumpets and a change in the barometric pressure.  King James Version says, “And there appeared…”  Then and there make it sound like an angel had come for a cup of tea.

Zechariah, realizing an angel was standing at the right side of the altar of incense, was startled and gripped with fear.  Bless the angel!  He told Zechariah to not be afraid.  Then – now this is where the big then begins:  “Zechariah; your prayer has been heard.  Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to call him John.”

I have a feeling it was at this point that Zechariah zoned out, because he asked a question.

Zechariah asked the angel, “How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years.”

Talk about asking the wrong question.  Why would Zechariah question the angel?  He was a priest and on that day he was the main man...in the temple burning incense.  Of all the people around, wouldn’t a priest know not to question an angel?

The angel said to him, “I am Gabriel.  I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news.”

Wow.  I can almost see Zechariah’s eyes getting very large when he heard the words:

I

AM

GABRIEL

Each word would have been pronounced, with emphasis, and there would have been a pause between each word.  Gabriel continued, “I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news. ….

Oh my.  Oh my.  Can you picture Zechariah shrinking?

And now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words, which will come true at their appointed time.” 


Really Zechariah?  You were a priest, who observed all of the Lord’s commands and decrees.  You were in the temple, at the time for burning of incense, and yet you questioned the angel.  How could an old man and old woman have a child?

Are we like Zechariah?  We believe.  We do believe, but …. do we believe God is capable of giving us what we pray for?


WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, WHY, AND REALLY...  It seems there are always questions to be asked.  And so it is with the Christmas Story. 

HOW could a virgin become pregnant?  (December 11, 2020)

WHAT changed Joseph’s mind?  (December 18, 2020)

WHAT happens when you find him?  (December 25, 2020)

WHY – if they were so wise – did the Wise Men have to ask for directions?  (January 1, 2021)

No comments: