Friday, January 19, 2024

MY 2024 RESOLUTION —

I was reading the editor’s comments, in the Angel’s magazine, and it got me to thinking.  She said each year she picked a word to be her “word” for the year.  Previous words had been patience and trust.  She was having a hard time picking a word for 2024 until her mother suggested she pick music.  She knew her daughter loved music and loved to dance.  Music made her daughter glow.  Like a good daughter, she listened to her mother.

The point of the article was that we always make a New Year’s Resolution to change something about ourselves.  We will have respect for others.  We will have more hope.  We will watch our language.  We will obey the speed limit.  Sadly, most of us are never able to keep those resolutions.

The Forbes Health/One Poll survey found that the average resolution lasts just 3.74 months.  Only 8% of respondents tend to stick with their goals for one month, while 22% last two months, 22% last three months and 13% last four months.  Not a very good track record.

BUT (pay attention because BUT means a brilliant idea is coming) what if we were like the editor and made a resolution to celebrate and increase the talents God gave us?

I do enjoy music, but God did not endow me with the gift of things associated with music.  I cannot sing.  I cannot dance.  I can barely find the Message on Sirius XM.  BUT (attention please) if you are gifted with a musical talent, maybe your resolution should be to bless more people with that talent.

God did bless me with a very vivid imagination.  I can listen to the music from a play and the play will run through my mind.  I can see the stage and the action.  I read a book and the scenes unfold in my imagination.  I can read a story in the Bible and picture it.  I can see the crippled woman walking through the men to go to Jesus.  I can see the man being lowered through the roof.  My Sunday School class probably wishes I would use it less, BUT I will continue to use those images to bring a character to life or to help explain why the character felt pain or joy or invisible.

Do you get the idea?  Use what God gave you to spread that joy to others.  Use your talent to encourage.   Did you ever think about encouraging being a talent?  It is and if you are an encourager keep it up.  You are a blessing to others.  Are you a good listener?  That is such a gift.  So many people wish they had someone to just listen to them — to actually hear them — to acknowledge their fears and dreams and joys and tears.  Is that you?  Are you a listener?  Then make a resolution to use that talent.

Do you get the idea?  Do you like people?  Be an usher at church.  Do you love the scripture?  Be a liturgist.  Do you have a talent for leading a Bible Study?  Then do it.  Are you reading this and thinking, “I do like _____ but I would be no good at it.”  That is just the gap Satan is looking for.  (Last week’s blog.) He will stop you from using your God given talent by convincing you that you are not good enough.  BUT YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH.  God will guide you.  God will give you opportunities BUT you have to be willing to step out of your “I am not good enough” zone and say yes.  It might be a very small yes, BUT it is the first step.

It is not too late to make a resolution for 2024.  What talent do you celebrate?  What talent do you get great joy from?  What talent brings joy to others?  What talent could bring joy if you shared it?

Make a 2024 resolution: I thank God for the talent of ________ and I will use it as God directs.

No comments: