Friday, July 12, 2024

TRAVELING

I love to travel and recently spent a couple nights by myself prior to seeing my sisters.  When I get to a motel, the first thing I do is take the duvet out of the duvet cover.  Usually hubby helps me, but alone this is no easy task and I feel sorry for the staff that has to stuff the duvet in a cover.  Out it comes because there is no way I can sleep under anything that heavy.  Makes me feel like I am suffocating.  The next thing is to untuck the top sheet.  I hate the sheet tucked in.  How do I stick my feet out when the sheet has them trapped? After that I take half the pillows off the bed.  Does anyone really use that many pillows? Also, I check to make sure someone has not left the alarm set for 3:00 AM.  3:00 AM is way prior to my desire for coffee.

That accomplished, I can unpack what I need for the night.  Bathroom stuff in the bathroom.  Clothes for the next day laid out.  Then it is time to relax.  Jammies on, sitting in bed, a pillow behind my back, and the remote at hand.  I begin to scroll the channels.  How can there be that many channels and not one good thing to watch? Never fear.  I have a book to read and would rather read anyway.  I am ready for uninterrupted reading, which never happens at home, and I hear a herd of elephants coming down the hall.

“Please Lord, if you love me, do not have that family in the next room.”  Now, I love kids and they really do not bother me ….  but the book … uninterrupted reading … Kids running down the hall excitedly telling their parents they want to go swimming.  The parents telling them to stop running … what page was I on again?

Are you wondering where I am going with this?  As often happens, I have no idea.  I know that I love being on new backroads.  You know the roads where you have to get the magnifying glass out to see the road number … if it even has a number.  Bill does the driving on the roads I find and he swears I cannot find a straight road.  (That is on purpose.)  To be on these backroads, we have to leave town and, if we leave town, we have to stay in motels.  Over the years, we have been very fortunate and only a handful of motels have not been the best.  But, I realize what I have written is about motels and the point has nothing to do with motels.

The point has to do with the journey.  The journey has a beginning and an end.  And the journey begins with the first step.

Torah became the father of Abram, Nahor and Harlan.  Abram and Nahor both married.  The name of Abram’s wife was Sarai,

“The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.”

So Abram went, as the Lord had told him; and Lot went with him.  Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Harran.  He took his wife Sarai, his nephew Lot, all the possessions they had accumulated and the people they had acquired in Harran, and they set out for the land of Canaan, and they arrived there.”

“When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, “I am God Almighty; walk before me faithfully and be blameless.  Abram fell facedown, and God said to him, “As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations.  No longer will you be called Abram; your name will be Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations.”

Genesis parts of 11, 12, and 17

God does not tell each of us to “go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.”  What God does tell us to do is take that first step onto the path He has designed specifically for each of us.  Your path may take you to far nations and another’s path may mean they are to stay in one location.  Your path may be to touch lives as a nurse or a teacher or a preacher.  Another’s path may be to lead by example as they work in a factory or drive a truck or farm.  BUT … YOU have to step onto your path.  God told Abram to go.  BUT Abram took action: he went.

Take the step onto God’s path.   You will never regret the journey’s ending.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good message and entertaining too.