Friday, October 20, 2006

IT IS NOT ALL GOOD

Greetings,

This past week, in Sunday School, we talked about Intercessory Prayer. Yes, we can pray directly to God. He hears us, but sometimes we need people to pray for us. We discussed how the Israelites had Samuel pray for them. They gave up their idols and turned back to God. They needed someone to pray on their behalf. The idols came between the Israelites and God and even today, we have “things” that can come between God and us.

I have added two messages. They need to be together. They are not easy to read. The subject is child abuse.

These articles lead back to Intercessory Prayer -- After you read these and after you have thought about this, say a prayer. Pray for our children. Pray that they be kept safe. Pray for parents and the other adults. Pray that they put children above their anger. Above their job. Pray that each adult realizes that a child is a gift. A very special gift. A gift to be nurtured and loved and kept safe. Pray that we can turn to God when we question why this would happen. Pray that we turn TO God and that we do not allow the actions of others to turn us away from God.

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy -- think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me -- put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Philippians 4:6-9

IT IS NOT ALL GOOD --

I used to read the newspaper from front page to back. I could tell you what was going on around the world and around our town. I read the advice columns and I read the funnies. I read the obituaries and the births. I looked to see who won the ball game. I even watched the evening news - local and national.

Then one day it all changed. I do not believe in being an ostrich, burying my head in the sand, but I can only take so much. How can we hurt our children?

Adults fight over boundaries. They fight over politics. They fight over religion. They settle their disagreements with laws, with words and with guns. BUT how can we hurt our children?

I read in the paper of two fathers who went mushroom hunting and left their children in the car. It was a very hot day and those children died.

I read in the paper of the mother who watched as her child was beaten. She was more afraid, of being without a man in her life, than of protecting her baby.

I read in the paper of a surgeon who was to drop her baby off at daycare. But she got to thinking about the operations she had that day. She thought about her patients. She forgot about her baby in the back seat. She forgot until it was too late.

I heard on the news of a child being dropped out of a window. Of a child locked in a closet. Of children not fed. Of children being molested. Of children being beaten. Of children watching as their mother is beaten. Of children being shot in schools. Of a four-week-old baby being used as a club in a fight between a mother and father.

I heard of children who were an inconvenience to their parents. It was too much trouble to play with them, to read to them or to listen to them. So they put them in front of a television. They set no limits to the child's access to video games and the internet. They allowed them to listen to songs with cruel lyrics. They did all of this just because it was easier than giving them one thing -- their time. Would they say they loved their children? Yes. They just did not want to give up going to the gym, going to the parties, watching the ball game and all of the other things more important than their children.

I am sure some of the people who hurt children are sorry afterwards, but afterwards is too late.

I quit reading the paper from front to back. I quit listening to all of the news. I can only cope with so much.

There are so many agencies to help our youth, but that is only a start. We must make our children a priority. We must stop allowing them to be beaten. We must stop allowing them to go hungry. We must stop allowing them to be locked in dark closets. We must love our children enough to protect them.

I can pray that the heart of the people who abuse our children will be touched and changed. I can pray for the children. I can pray they have an angel beside them.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Yes, I know this was not an easy piece to read today. How do we stop the cycle of abuse? How do we get all parents to give their children love and time? How can this problem be solved? I know we can vote for people who make children a priority. What else can we do? What can you do in your church? In your community? Could you be a foster parent? Could you help counsel? Could you be a child advocate in the court system?

Do you feel overwhelmed with the care of your children? Where can you get help? The national number for Child Abuse Hotline is 1-800-422-4453.

How do you find peace? (Read today’s scripture again AND read the next message.)

LET US PRAY

Dear God, It is hard when I hear of children being abused. Beaten. Not loved. Ignored. It is hard because I feel helpless. Today, Lord, send special angels to protect your little children. Show me where I can help. Show me how I can make a difference. I ask that you send special help to ………………………………… Amen
Please continue reading


THE CHILDREN SHALL TEACH US

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE

The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them.

Isaiah 11:6

At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.
Luke 10:21

THE CHILDREN SHALL TEACH US

I wrote, “It’s Not All Good” many months before the following Mary’s Moment. This moment needs to be added here. This happened the summer before our grandson, Matthew, was in the first grade. The children shall teach us!

The other day Bill and I took Matthew to see the old tractors and engines at the Winamac Power Show. It was fun and although Matthew soon tired of the old tractors, he did enjoy the thrashing exhibit and seeing the steam engines. Matthew listened as we told him how corn was shelled before we had combines and how boards were cut with the blades powered by the steam engines. He listened and he learned. Yes, we had a good time, but then anytime with grandchildren is valuable time.

We then had lunch and, as we sat there, Matthew asked if we had heard about the man who killed his children. We told him we had and did not understand how any father could kill his own children. That is what we said, but we were thinking about what should happen to that man. I admit they were not good thoughts.

Matthew sat there and then he taught us a lesson. He looked up and very quietly said, “He needs to ask for God’s forgiveness.”

Jesus said the children would lead us. Jesus was right again.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

How do we understand when this happens? How do we forgive?

LET US PRAY

Dear Heavenly Father, I again ask that you protect your little children. I also ask that you give me understanding. And a forgiving heart. I ask that you give comfort to families where children are victims of violence and abuse. Help them cope and face tomorrow. Help me, Lord, as I try to understand. Help me………………………………… Amen

No comments: