Friday, October 13, 2006

MARY DOESN’T KNOW HER PLACE

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
Luke 10:38-42

MARY DOESN’T KNOW HER PLACE

I have always wondered why my parents named me Mary. There is no Mary on my genealogy chart or any old family friend named Mary. When I was young, I mistakenly told someone I did not like my name and, with eyebrows raised and a superior attitude, they said, “How could anyone not like the name of Jesus’ mother?” Being properly chastised, I never told anyone that again.

One Sunday, I finally figured it out. The pastor talked about Mary sitting at Jesus’ feet instead of being in the kitchen where she belonged. Others wondered at Mary not knowing her place. Now I know why I was named Mary. I have never known my place either.

I can do the dishes and I can go to the barn to help with the birth of a calf. (Women of my mother’s era were not allowed in the barn during birthing. Figure that one out.) I can work on the computer and I can express my opinion at the local coffee shop. I can read stories to the grandchildren and I can stand up to attitudes that want women back in the kitchen. BUT these are all physical places. We should all be more like Mary, because she was not concerned about her physical place. Mary found her place at the feet of Jesus.

Guess Mary is not such a bad name after all.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Do you know where you belong? If not, what can you do to get headed in the right direction? Are you afraid to do something new because you have to move out of your comfort zone?

LET US PRAY

Dear Lord, Let me always sit at your feet. I know I have work to do, but do not let me ever be so busy that I forget to take time to listen and learn. Let me find my place. Sometimes I wander and go from here to there. Sometimes I let other people tell me where I belong. Give me strength to ………………………………… Amen

No comments: