Friday, October 06, 2006

AT THE TOP OF THE FAMILY TREE

TODAY’S SCRIPTURES

A record of the genealogy of Jesus Christ the son of David, the son of Abraham.
Matthew 1:1

Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Christ.
Matthew 1:17

Now Jesus himself was about thirty years old when he began his ministry. He was the son, so it was thought, of Joseph,
Luke 3:23

. . . . . . the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.
Luke 3:38


AT THE TOP OF THE FAMILY TREE

This year seems to be moving along at a tremendous pace. I do not know what the remainder of 2006 will hold. I remember that 2004 also went fast and was filled with some wonderful blessings. We added a grandson and marveled as we traveled to new places on God’s earth. We worked hard and had a little time for rest. We celebrated birthdays and anniversaries. We said goodbye to family and friends. Saying goodbye is sometimes hard and sometimes a blessing.

Aunt Grace and I had a great visit in June, that year. She had just turned 90 and told me stories I had never heard. People think I talk a lot. For two hours, I could not get a word in edgewise. (I am not exaggerating.) What a time we had. We laughed. And, after I left, I cried because I knew we would never have a time like that again. Laughter and tears. What a day.

In December 2004, I said goodbye to Grace, the last aunt on my mother’s side. The best thing I learned at Aunt Grace’s funeral was that she had accepted God. That made me smile. Then reality set in. My cousin, sister and I looked at each other. The “cousins” were now the top branch on my mother’s family tree. That is daunting. No one to look up to. No one to turn to. No one – Oh yes, just as when I was a lower branch I still have someone. God!

To the laughter and tears of life, add faith and it does not matter which branch of the tree you are. You are always an important branch on God’s tree and, with God as the root, your branch will always be strong.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Who looks to you for help and guidance? Who do you turn to? God? Your church? Your friends?

LET US PRAY

Dear Creator, You created the family tree. Each branch is filled with your children. Some have turned to you and, regretfully, some have turned away. Let me not fail as I fit into the lineage of a God fearing people. I know I can always turn to you and your word for guidance. I will listen with an open mind and a loving spirit to you and your words. If others turn to me, give me the wisdom I need to help them. Do not let me judge others when they seek guidance, but let me help. When I need help, I know I can turn to .………………………………… Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary,
I have always enjoyed reading Mary's Moments (it would have been a great book) and listening to your Children's Stories and your stories about your family. Thank you for stepping out on a limb and starting this. Can't wait to share it with friends. Good luck with your newest adventure.
In God's Love,
Jennifer