Friday, June 08, 2007

ENEMIES

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: Psalm 23:5

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

ENEMIES

Enemy. Now that is one powerful word. What comes to your mind? Do you picture a certain person? Do you think of someone in history like Hitler? How do you feel when you say that word? Does your blood pressure go up? Do your eyes lock in a stare and your mouth set into a scrawl? How big of a table would it take to seat your enemies?

Enemy. That is one powerful word. The other Sunday we heard Pastor Robert A. Schuller speak on this verse from Psalm 23. He made me think about the enemies that would be sitting at my table.

I think I am going to need a very big table to seat my enemies. They would be temper, prejudice, lack of compassion, and fear. Also seated would be pride and lack of trust. Seated there would be gossip and hate. And being judgmental. I would be in one of those chairs, because sometimes I am my own worst enemy. There would be a chair - an empty chair - for all the things I was afraid to do. The things I left undone. The words I did not say. The prayers I did not pray. These things are or have been enemies to the life I can have.

Enemy. That is one powerful word. We spend time worrying about "humans" who are enemies. "Human" enemies would take up very few chairs at the table. The real enemies - the ones that threaten eternal life - could fill a room.

Enemy, that is one powerful word. But God is more powerful. Through God, you will sit at the table, in the presence of your enemies. The enemies God has invited so they can see that you are one of His children. You are an anointed child. Through God, YOU CAN OVERCOME YOUR ENEMIES.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Who do you consider an enemy? What is your worst enemy? How many chairs will you need at the table?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. Dear Lord, What comforting words these are. And to know that you have a table prepared for me. To know that I can draw on your strength to overcome my enemies. Teach me forgiveness, because I need to be forgiven. Let me forgive my human enemies. Give me strength to defeat the other enemies in my life. Give me strength to rid my life of ………………………………… Amen

No comments: