Friday, September 02, 2016

DISCOVERING THE PATH

Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
Psalm 119:105

Have you ever been out for a walk, enjoying the journey down a lovely path, your mind wondering here and there as memories floated in and out?  Have you ever been walking along, in a familiar right, left pattern, sure where you were headed because the path was easy to see?  Have you ever been walking along, one step leading into the next, when you notice a bench – an inviting, comfortable bench?  The empty bench is waiting for someone to step off the path and sit.

I had been sitting on that bench.  And, it was not a good place to be!

Let me explain. 

Our journey – the path we follow – can become too familiar.  Too safe.  We can keep putting one foot in front of the other.  We can be doing all the right things.  Saying all the right words.  We can …..

… all of a sudden realize it is not the path we are supposed to be on.  And that is how I found myself sitting on the bench.  My path was no longer clear.  Or maybe the path was clear and I did not want to see it. To see the path would mean I would have to change.  I would have to divert from the path of the known and comfortable to the path of “LORD YOU WANT ME TO DO WHAT?”

So there I sat on the bench.  The name of the bench is indecision and, although that bench looked inviting, it was not a pleasant place to sit.  And I was not alone.  On one side was the voice of “this path is good.”  On the other side was the voice of “is this the path God wants you stay on?”

While I sat there, life went on and it was good.  But God has this persistent nature and finally, I heard the answer.  That is when I stood up and saw that, where there had been one path, there were now two.  One familiar and safe:  a good path.  One --

Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths.
Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long.
Psalm 25:4-5

One was the new path God wanted me to be on.

Hubby and I have struggled with a decision for years.  We had both attended the same denomination for over 50 years and a local church for over 30.  We sat on the bench of indecision because of the wonderful people in the local church, as the voice on one side said “go” and the voice on the other side said “stay.” 

What we finally realized is that God has a new path for us and we have begun a new faith journey.  A journey that is no longer handcuffed to indecision.  We are exactly where God wants us.  We are on a new path. 


What about you?  Are you sitting on the bench of indecision?  

No comments: