Friday, August 24, 2007

VACATION PLANS

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE: ROMANS 12:2

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- his good, pleasing and perfect will.

VACATION PLANS

Our son, Bill, always teases us about our vacations. You see, we plan. We send off for information. We mark our route. We make some reservations so we know that, at the end of the day, we will have a place to stay. We know where we want to go and we know what we want to do when we get there. We print off our route and our itinerary for the kids. That is where the teasing comes in. Bill will look at it and say, "Just how far do you think you will get before you change your plans?"

He is right. We will be going down the road and I will look at the map and say, "Now what we could do…." That usually means we will take a side road or even make a major change in our plans. The route and the reservations -- each carefully chosen -- are thrown away. A new adventure begins.

Usually we are at least going down the road when the changes start. This year the itinerary was hardly out of the printer when my husband said, "Now what we could to…" That comment resulted in a major change.

Wow, this is a lot like life. We prepare. We plot. We have our day planned. Our week. Our year. Our life. Then WHAM. God says, "Now what you could do…" Oh, I hate it when that happens. It means I have to throw out my schedule. Throw out my plans.

Then I think about it and turn to the new adventure God has prepared for me. After all, His road leads me where I really want to go.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Do all of your plans work out? Do you get frustrated when plans fall through? Can you be excited when change comes into your life? Do you listen for God's directions?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear God, You formed this world and you formed me. You have a plan for this world and you have a plan for me. I spend so much of my life deciding what I want to do. Give me ears to hear when you say, "Now what you could do ." Give me courage to change. Courage to follow your good, pleasing and perfect will. Give me courage to follow your plan. ………………………………… Amen

No comments: