Friday, July 18, 2008

THE ATTACK OF THE GLASSES CASE

TODAY’S SCRIPTURES:

But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. Psalm 5:11

(Jesus praying for His disciples) I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name -- the name you gave me -- so that they may be one as we are one. John 17:11

THE ATTACK OF THE GLASSES CASE

Wednesday was a day to remember. Bill and I took a dress, which was made by my Great-Great Aunt and donated it, along with some other articles of clothing, to the Indiana State Museum. Aunt Betsy spun and the dress was made from the results of her spinning wheel. We know the dress was made sometime in the 1840's. It is exciting to know the dress will be displayed for many to see instead of being passed from cedar chest to cedar chest.

Not only was Bill being a nice husband by going to Indianapolis with me, he also saved me from the attack of the glasses case. Picture this: The sun is shining and it is time to put sunglasses on. A normal, everyday activity. A normal activity until the case attacks you.

Let me point out one thing about this particular case. It is a hard plastic case, with a very strong spring so the case snaps shut with a vengeance. This has never been a problem until Wednesday.

There we were. Driving on the very busy 465 Interstate. Traffic zooming on both sides. Cars going too slow in front and coming up too fast behind. That is when it happened. I had my sunglasses almost out of the case, when - SNAP - that case closed. Closed on an ever so tiny piece of skin, on my thumb. IT HURT!!!

As I was trying to open the case, it just pinched my skin harder. And with the way the case had closed, I could not get it open with just one hand. I tried to talk but all that came out was a strange sound. I know. I know. You are thinking, "Wimp."

My hero husband finally understood my dilemma and opened the case. What a relief. Of course, he did a lot of chuckling and smirking for the rest of the way home. I have a feeling I will never hear the end of being attacked by a glasses case.

Sorta like life. We never know when something is going to attack us. But when it does, we want to have someone to keep us safe from harm. Someone to protect us. Gee. Someone like God.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Can you top the attack of the glasses case for silly things that have happened to you? Are you prepared for the big things that attack you?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Holy Father, How sweet that sounds. The scripture says I can take refuge in You and seek Your protection. That the power of Your name will protect me. I do seek refuge in You and ask that You will protect me. Protect me from … Amen

No comments: