Friday, November 14, 2008

I WANT IT NOW

TODAYS SCRIPTURES:

And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. Colossians 1:10-12

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope - the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ. Titus 2:11-13

I WANT IT NOW

Do you watch commercials? I try not, but you cannot avoid them. Some are not too bad and if I were looking for an advertising agency, I would find the company that represents Target. Their ads are good. Bright. Active. Gives Target a good image. I would also find out the ad agency that Volkswagen uses. Now just how stupid are their commercials that say, "They got pregnant so they could buy a Volkswagen." Brooke Shields may look good in those commercials, but I would not hire that agency to advertise my product. Is that really the best they could do? Volkswagen needs to talk to Target.

Have you seen the ad where the guy is watching television and the picture goes out? His wife then says, "You are right. We need a new TV." The next shot is of this guy in a store saying, "I want it all. I want it now."

That is one ad I do not like and would love to see taken off the air. The trouble is that is the attitude most people have now days. "I want it all. I want it now."

Remember when you loaded film into a camera. You took pictures. Then waited with great anticipation for days until they were developed. Now you can get same day prints. Or better yet, one hour. Oh, that is right. Now we have digital.

I will take a picture of one of the grandchildren and they instantly say, "Let me see it." (I want it all. I want it now.)

Fast food restaurants. Instant mashed potatoes. Frozen meals. Meals in a bag. Instant coffee. (I want it all. I want it now.)

Overnight shipping. Faxes. Email. Instant messaging. Text messaging. Cell phones. (I want it all. I want it now.)

DVD's that tape one show while you watch another. The newest Wii. The latest video game. A really, really big screen TV. (I want it all. I want it now.)

And heaven forbid if we have to wait in line. Do people not know how important I am? I have places to be. Things to do. I do not have time to wait. (I want it all. I want it now.)

Patience. Waiting. Okay, I am not always good at the patience part. But I do try. I think we lack patience and the ability to wait because we are putting so much "activity" into each day.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Are you in an "I want it all. I want it now" mode? Are you short on patience? If you have to wait just a few minutes, does it throw your whole day off? Are your days so full of "activity" that you have no time to live?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

To my glorious God and Savior, I come before you and for this brief time retreat from a hectic world. I come asking for the strength to live my life in such a way that it is of worth to you. I do need patience. Patience to live in a hectic world and not to forget what is truly important. Lord, teach me to wait. To wait and not develop an "I want it all. I want it now" attitude. Allow my eyes to see all the blessings I have and the patience to wait for all of the blessings you have in store for me. … Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on Mary, I too dislike that VW ad.