Friday, February 13, 2009

WATCH WHERE YOU GO

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: Mark 13:32-33, 37

(Jesus speaking) "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come. …… What I say to you, I say to everyone: 'Watch!' "

WATCH WHERE YOU GO

When you walk, do you look at your feet? Do you watch each step? Or do you look ahead?

Sunday, February 1st, I played hooky from church and instead celebrated Sunday by taking a grandson shopping. When our daughter's boys reach seven, we go birthday shopping. Noah turned seven in December and we finally found a day that worked for both of us.

Much to his disappointment, the first stop, in Target, was to buy clothes. Then we found the toy aisle and Noah picked out a toy. He also spent his it-is-yours-to-spend-how-you-want ten dollars. Hey, I think clothes, a toy and ten bucks was a good deal.

Noah has been to Wal-Mart and thought that is a big store. He had never been to a MALL. As we walked through the mall, Noah noticed all the stores but was more interested in stepping ever so carefully that his feet were always in the middle of the tiles. He did not want to step on a crack. This was fun and he thought the only thing we were going to do now was get something to eat. So he kept his eyes on the floor. Not looking ahead. (That was my job.) Not looking at anything except those tiles. Not looking up until --

"Oh Grandma, look at that. Do I get to ride?"

You see, Glenbrook Mall has a two-story carrousel and Noah looked up just at the right moment. I am glad I had not told him about it, because the look on his face was one of wonder. Yes, he rode. And on the top story. All smiles as it went around and around. A perfect way to end our shopping day.

I wonder how often we keep our heads down. Looking at each tiny step we take. So concerned about 'stepping on a crack' that we miss the wonder waiting for us.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Have you ridden a merry-go-round lately? Have you almost missed something wonderful because you failed to look ahead? Or failed to look up?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

What do you have in store for me Lord? What wonders await me? Will I go around and around with joy? Smiling? Or will I miss out because I cannot take my eyes off the ground? Will I forget to watch? Let my steps be sure and straight so my eyes can always be on you. Let me lift my head so I may see the wonder of your creation. And let me bow my head as I offer my humble prayers. Dear Lord, let me always watch, because, when the time comes for Your return, I want to be ready. Amen

---------------------------------------------

PS -- Susan Ring has posted the painting I described in my January 16 blog. Go to www.susanringart.com. Then click on gallery page and then oils. Coming home from Culver is the first picture on the left. Enjoy

---------------------------------------------

No comments: