Friday, May 22, 2009

BAPTISM

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: 1 PETER 3:21-22

and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also - not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at God's right hand -- with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.

BAPTISM

I once wrote that with grandchildren, I would never run out of stories. How true!! I want to tell you about a conversation between our daughter and her five-year-old son.

Terri: "What did you do while you were outside?"

Timothy: "I baptized Jamie so she would go to heaven." (Jamie is a dog.)

Terri: "How did you baptize Jamie?"

Timothy: "I put her in a bucket of water."

Terri: "Did you take her out of the bucket?"

Timothy: "Yes."

And this is how you know Terri is a seasoned mother of four boys. Without missing a beat, this was her reply.

Terri: "Okay, go wash your hands for lunch."

I am sure that with son number one, Terri would have worried that the dog might have drowned. That Matthew might have been bitten trying to put that poor dog under the water. Matthew or the dog might have gotten sick because it really is not warm enough yet to be playing in the water. And she would have washed Matthew's hands to make sure they were really clean, not just dried off. (After all, those hands just came out of water. Timothy believes you should only wash one hand if the other hand is not dirty. Yes, he can wash one hand without getting the other one wet!)

Where is all this going? We learn from the children. Jesus said we are to "receive the kingdom of God like a little child." Timothy knew being baptized was important.

I do not remember my baptism as being a "big deal." It was part of the Confirmation Class I took along with the rest of the kids my age. Just something we did. We were baptized and joined the church.

Baptism should be a big deal and I am not talking about the 'sprinkle, pour or dunked' debate. Or the 'at birth or older' debate. I am talking about true baptism.

Baptism of your soul.

Galatians 3:26-29 -- You are all sons of God, through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Baptism of your soul is when you know you ARE a son or daughter of God. When you know you ARE clothed with Christ. When you know you ARE one in Christ Jesus. When you know you DO belong to God and ARE heir to all the promises.

That, my sisters and brothers, makes baptism a big deal.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Have you been baptized? Do you remember your baptism? Would you like to be baptized again or renew your baptismal vows? If you have never been baptized, are you ready to take that step? Your minister would be thrilled to help you with any of your questions or decisions.

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Dear Lord and Savior, Baptism - When I close my eyes and think of that word, I see the Spirit descending on Your Son like a dove, as he was baptized. I hear you proclaim, "You are my son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased." That is what I want my baptism to be. I want it to be a time of repentance. A time when my sins are washed clean. I want my baptism to be a time when I welcome the Holy Spirit. A time when I take with open hands all the promises of your word. I want my baptism to be a time when all the angels, authorities and powers hear you say to me, "You are mine, whom I love. With you I am well pleased." In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should email my pal about your post.

Mary said...

Please do share. Thank you for reading my blog. Have a blessed day.