Friday, May 08, 2009

MOTHERS

TODAYS SCRIPTURES:

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. Psalm 139:13

but we were gentle among you, like a mother caring for her little children. 1 Thessalonians 2:7

MOTHERS

What do you picture when you hear the word Mother? Depending on your age, the person would be wearing a dress, slacks, jeans or shorts. Her hair would be long. Short. Somewhere in-between. The hair might be gray, blond, brown, red, black or orange. And size? Mothers come in sizes 2, 4, 6, 8 and 30. They are 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100+. Some are still in their teens. No two mothers are alike. Some smile and laugh easily. Some are serious. And, let's be honest, some are good mothers and some are not. Just like so many things in life, we do not get to pick our mother. And sometimes, other women add more to our lives than our own mother does.

THE MOTHERS IN MY LIFE -- AND THEIR HANDS

My Grandmother -- My maternal grandmother lived with us in the winter because we had a furnace and indoor plumbing. Grandma shared a bedroom with my sister and me. I can still see her doing stretches and she could bend over and touch the palms of her hands to the floor. I can see grandma's hands as she stirred mush. She made good mush! I can see her hands crocheting. Mainly, I can see her hands holding the Bible. She held the Bible with great reverence.

My Other Mother Lois -- I work auctions and I called the lady that provided the lunch wagon mom. She listened when I needed to talk and she allowed me to cry. She listened when I told stories of our family. She gave me hugs. She filled a spot in my heart that needed to be filled. Mainly, I see Lois serving hot dogs and pie. Her hands busy. Her hands feeding people. Her hands serving others.

Spiritual Mothers -- Spiritual mothers can be any age. Spiritual mothers are teaching me to pray. I see their hands folded in prayer. Cathie is one of my spiritual mothers. Spiritual mothers are teaching me to study. I see their hands holding a Bible in one hand and a study guide in the other. Gracie is one of my spiritual mothers. Spiritual mothers are teaching me how to serve as Jesus served. I see their hands preparing meals for funeral dinners, making prayer shawls, serving communion and holding a baby while a mother can attend the worship service. Margaret and Anna are two of my spiritual mothers.

My Mother -- I saved mother until last. As I have grown, in years and faith, I love my mother. I cannot say that was always the case. Because of years and having children of my own, I understand mother a little better. Because of faith, I can see the things mother did for me and understand mother loved me, as she knew how. I see mother's hands sewing a special red birthday dress. I see mother's hands making a cup of hot chocolate for me when she knew I would be cold coming home from a football game. I see mother's hands finally holding a Bible. I see mother's hand gently, for the first time in my life, touching my cheek, in a soft caress, just days before that same hand took the hand of Jesus. I see mother's hands, waiting to, once again, gently touch my cheek.

So many women have touched my life. Mother. Grandmother. My other mom. Spiritual mothers. I am eternally grateful for each woman that has helped me learn. Grow. Each has been put in place by a loving God to serve as an example.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

Can you name the women who have influenced your life?

Mother's Day can be very hard when you do not or did not have a good relationship with your mother. If this is the case, try to place in your heart the image of one person that encouraged you. That taught you what love should be.

LET US PRAY

Because each of us has such a different relationship with our mother, I am asking you to say your own prayer today. If your relationship with your mother and other women in your life is good, praise God for blessing you. If your relationship with your mother is not quite so good, ask God to give you insight that you might find common ground or even just one thing for which you can give thanks. That is a place for you to start. Also look at your life and thank God for the other women who have taught you. Encouraged you. If your mother is now with God, have a talk with her.

No comments: