Friday, May 14, 2010

THE LIGHT IS THERE

A very generous friend has allowed us to stay at his cabin in Colorado. We have been there twice and are looking forward to returning this September. It is very quiet. You can rest. You can relax.

One end of the cabin is windows and, in the mornings, you can watch the world wake up and, at night, watch it go to sleep. One evening, as I walked from the kitchen toward the window, it looked dark outside. But when I got to the window I saw it wasn't totally dark. Above the tree line, the sky was still light blue with a few scattered clouds. Then I saw the white jet stream. So close, it looked as if I could touch it. What a closing to a wonderful day. A reminder that when we think life is dark, full of problems, the light is still there. So close, we just need to reach out and grasp it.

The scriptures are full of reassurance.

And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. Genesis 1:3. God created the heavens and the earth. Then He lit up the sky! He lit up our lives!

You are my lamp, O Lord; the Lord turns my darkness into light. 2 Samuel 22:29. It is never so dark that God's light will not shine through.

The Lord is my light and my salvation Psalm 27:1. Wow, not only our light but our salvation. Two for one!!!

For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life. Psalm 56:13. Joy of joy! The light of life!

Where do we find this light? How do we understand it? The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple. Psalm 119:130. Where and how? We look in God's word.

From my favorite Psalm, we learn even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. Psalm 139:12. So -- no matter how deep the dark is that surrounds us, God sees us. He knows where we are.

Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing. Isaiah 40:26. God created us and all we have to do is lift our eyes and look to the heavens.

Micah 7:8 encourages us. Do not gloat over me, my enemy! Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light. Yes, we all fall and sometimes we all sit in darkness. When that happens, do not think you are there forever. Do not let your enemy win. When you fall, ask the Lord to be your light.

You are the light of the world. Matthew 5:14. Just as God is our light, God expects us to be a light to others.

There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever. Revelation 22:5. We never know what the next minute may bring, let alone tomorrow. But, one thing we know for sure is that the time will come when there will be no more darkness.

From Genesis to Revelation, the Bible, the unfolding word of God, gives understanding to each of us so we will call upon the light. "Darkness" is different for each person and can come when least expected. When your life gets dark. Or you feel alone. Or you feel like you are at the end of your rope, remember, reach out and grasp the light.

IMG_2210

QUESTION OF THE DAY

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12

Do you have this light in your life?

PRAYER TIME

Today, use the scriptures to surround yourself with the light of God.

Dear Lord, Bless all who call upon your light so there will be no more darkness. Amen

No comments: