Friday, June 18, 2010

THANK GOODNESS FOR CELL PHONES

TODAYS SCRIPTURE: ISAIAH 49:13

Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountains! For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.

THANK GOODNESS FOR CELL PHONES

Friday, June 11, was some day. I am thrilled to report that Timothy's surgery was a success and he no longer has tonsils or adenoids. I would like to report that he is back to his usual crazy self, but he is having all the normal surgery side effects. Throat very sore. Grumpy. Really bad breath. And did I mention, grumpy? He is even getting tired of watching TV.

Timothy has three older brothers. Let me tell you, those four boys can get into some really nasty fights. "He kicked me." "You hit me first." "Tell him to stay out of my room." "I want to sit by mommy." "Daddy said I could." "That is my light saber." "We watched your movie last time." Get the idea? Sometimes, you would think those boys hated each other.

That is until one of them gets sick. We were headed to Fort Wayne and the phone rang. "May I talk to Timmy?"

Because we had to be at the hospital early, we stayed in Fort Wayne the night before. As we entered our room, the phone rang. "May I talk to Timmy?"

We walked over to Bob Evans and had a bite of supper and upon returning to the room, Timmy asked, "Can I call grandpa?"

And before we made it to bed, the phone rang again, "We want to tell Timmy goodnight." Yup, those boys can get into some battles, but when one hurts they become brothers and they all hurt.

I am not sure how many times the cell phone was used Friday. "Yes, we are headed to the hospital." "Yes, Timothy is in surgery." "Yes, he is out of surgery." "He is awake." "We are headed home."

And again, the phone rang, "May I talk to Timmy?"

The cell phone gave everyone comfort. Timothy talked to his father, his brothers and his grandparents. But the cell phone could not be used everywhere. BUT during this time of concern. During this surgery. During this separation from family, there was one connection that was always available.

That connection? God, of course.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Like all devices of man, the cell phone can get us into trouble or be a blessing. Do you drive and talk? Drive and text? (HOPE NOT!) Talk on the phone instead of enjoying the person/people you are with? When has the cell phone been a blessing? Have you called when your car was broken down? When someone was ill? When you just needed to hear a loved ones voice?

Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.

LET US PRAY

Hello, God.

I know with you I never get a busy signal or have to worry about leaving a message. You are always ready to hear my prayers.

I look at this wonderful world and appreciate __________.

You have so blessed me. Thank you for __________.

Please help __________.

In the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ, Amen and Amen.

No comments: