Friday, December 16, 2011

BELIEVING YOU MAY HAVE LIFE

December 18 is the fourth Sunday in Advent. When I looked up Advent, it was explained this way: A time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas. A shorter answer was coming. So, Advent is expecting, waiting and preparation for something to come.

SCRIPTURE: JOHN: parts of Chapter 1

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

John (the Baptist) saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! This is the one I meant when I said, ‘A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’ ”

Jesus then added, “I tell you the truth, you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.”

BELIEVING YOU MAY HAVE LIFE

Matthew began with the information that Jesus is the fulfillment of the Old Testament scriptures and Mark began by telling us that the baby grew into a man. Luke - Luke investigated and announced: IT IS TRUE! What does John want us to know? A LOT!

I didn’t count them, but the study notes tell me the Book of John uses the word life thirty-six times. This is nineteen times more than any other New Testament book. The first eighteen verses of chapter one are a bit deep (theological) but please read all of them. These verses are like a 2 X 4 whack on the head so we do not miss THIS IS THE WORD MADE FLESH!

John also wants us to know John the Baptist is a great man and has his own calling, but John the Baptist is a man sent from God to be a witness. You have to give credit to John the Baptist. He never tried to steal the limelight or make himself to be anything other than what he had been called to do. “I baptize with water but among you stands one you do not know. He is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie.” John the Baptist came to proclaim: This is the Son of God.

This chapter closes with Jesus talking to the disciples. But what is the main objective of the Book of John?

John 20:31 -- BUT THESE ARE WRITTEN THAT YOU MAY BELIEVE THAT JESUS IS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF GOD, AND THAT BY BELIEVING YOU MAY HAVE LIFE IN HIS NAME.

Matthew, Mark and Luke informed, investigated and confirmed that Jesus, the fulfillment of the Old Testament, is the Son of God. John wants us to believe! Because, by believing, we - THAT WOULD BE YOU - can have life. Eternal life!

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Do you get confused by the first few verses of the Book of John? Or other verses? If so, let me assure you are not alone. Do not let that stop you from reading the Bible. Sometimes the Bible uses complicated words to say: Do you believe in my Son, Jesus?

This week, think about Advent a time of expecting, waiting and preparation for something to come. What do you expect to come? Now take time to talk to God.

----------------------------------------------------------

I rarely do a series so the last four weeks have been a stretch for me. It has personally been a challenge because I usually have an idea and then know the scripture to go along with it. And I am not a “deep” writer. I write everyday stuff. This has been a stretch and not as much fun to read, but it has been good too. It has shown me that I can get in a rut about what I write and what I read. It has shown me that I need to read Psalm 139 (my favorite) but that I also need to read John 1:1-18. Thank you for hanging in there while I tried something new. -- Mary

No comments: