Friday, June 21, 2013

JUST ANOTHER MINUTE PLEASE

I arrived early for a meeting at White’s Residential and Family Services. (http://www.whiteskids.org/) One of my CASA families has their visits there but I had not gotten railroaded nor behind someone that actually drove the speed limit, so I was early. The chapel parking lot seemed the exact place to wait. I put the windows down, watched and listened.

Beautiful flowers outside the chapel === Quiet surrounded by the noise of lawn mowers and birds === Shadows === A fountain === The campus waking up slowly === A girl on a swing === More people coming, going, waiting === An order to everyone’s movements === Pink, purple, red, white, brown, yellow and a gazillion shades of green

And then it was time to go to my meeting.

As I pulled out of the parking lot, I re-joined life but those few minutes of sitting and watching the world around me were wonderful. They made me realize how much I miss - how much we all miss - when we rush along. Never taking time to park in an empty lot and watch. And listen.

SCRIPTURE: Job 37:14

(God speaking) “Listen to this, Job; stop and consider God’s wonders.”

AND NOW

Is your life really busy? Are there just not enough hours in the day? Is there always a meeting? Or dinner to fix? Or the yard to mow? Or --- STOP! The “to do” list never ends. Sometimes, you just need to put the list aside. And stop. Stop and consider God’s wonders.

Leaving phones and all gadgets inside, go outside, by yourself or with a spouse, child or friend, sit on the step or in the grass, and listen and look. Then talk about what you saw and heard. You just might be surprised by what you are missing.

LET US PRAY (Please use this as a beginning of your prayer. Finish in your own words, words from your heart.)

Lord, Life is so busy I forget to just take time. Time to enjoy your wonders. Forgive me for taking the color green for granted and not noticing the people around me. Amen

No comments: