Friday, July 21, 2017

THE STORM

The storm rolled in
The sirens sounded
The TV warned
The sky turned black
The clouds boiled
The wind blew
The trees danced
The rain fell
The thunder rumbled
The lightening raced
The thunder quieted
The rain ended
The trees stood still
The wind became gentle
The clouds parted
The sky cleared
The TV removed the warning
The sirens were quiet
The storm passed

I wrote this a number of years ago but it so fits the last few weeks.  It seems we cannot get a gentle soaker.  No!  We get downpours.  Wind blowing.  Bit of hail mixed in sometimes.  Water running down the street.  Fields flooded.  Banks overflowing.  Yes, we have had a bit of rain.  One day we had over two and a half inches while we were having coffee.  Yes, coffee lasted a bit longer that morning.  No way could we make it to the car without getting soaked. 

This reminds me of another time it rained really hard.  I have used this story a couple of times, here and there, so excuse me if you have heard it.  My mother, sister and I were sitting talking and laughing, after a very nice meal.  We had no idea what time it was until the owner came over and explained it was time to close.  We also had no idea it was raining.  Raining a lot! 

We went outside.  My car was parked at the far side of the lot.  My mother and sister looked at each other.  Then they looked at me and said, “It is your car.”  I was trying to figure out how to get to my car and knew the shoes were going to come off.  Just then a very sweet lady, who was waiting on her husband to pick her up, kindly offered, “When my husband gets here, you just get in and have him take you to your car.”  Not sure which face showed the most surprise.  The man’s face as I jumped into his car or my mother’s face as she realized I never learned the stranger-danger rule or my sister’s as she got the “yup-that-is-Mary” look.  While they stood under the awning, I arrived at my car dry, thanked the very surprised gentleman and picked up my sister and still-in-shock mother.

I love to tell that story.  Makes me smile every time I think about that poor man having a strange women hop into his car.  Makes my heart smile when I think about the woman who provided a way to keep me dry.  Makes my soul laugh when I picture my mother standing there, mouth open, as I rode off in a stranger’s car. 

Rain comes into all our lives.  Storms cause havoc.  Thunder and lightning can make us quiver.  The storms pass.  The sun comes out.

= = = = = = = = = = = =

Sometimes storms come to get our attention.
Then the LORD sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up.     Now the LORD provided a huge fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.  Jonah 1: verses 4 and 17

Sometimes storms are calmed to show us God’s power.
Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble, and he brought them out of their distress.  He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed.  They were glad when it grew calm, and he guided them to their desired haven.  Psalm 107:28-30

One day Jesus said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side of the lake.”  So they got into a boat and set out.  As they sailed, he fell asleep.  A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger.  The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Master, Master, we’re going to drown!”  He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm.  Luke 8:22-24

Sometimes storms happen to get us where we need to be.
(Paul, a prisoner, and others were on a ship that set sail because there was a gentle wind.)  Before very long, a wind of hurricane force, called the Northeaster, swept down from the island.  The ship was caught by the storm and could not head into the wind; so we gave way to it and were driven along.  Acts 27: 14-15

Last night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood beside me and said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul.  You must stand trial before Caesar; and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you.  So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me.  Nevertheless, we must run aground on some island.” Acts 27:23-25

(The ship struck a sandbar and broke to pieces.  The soldiers planned to kill the prisoners but a centurion wanted to spare Paul’s life and stopped them.)  He ordered those who could swim to jump overboard first and get to land.  The rest were to get there on planks or on other pieces of the ship.  In this way everyone reached land safely.  Acts 27: part of 43-44

The storm got Jonah’s attention.  The storm being calmed taught the disciples a lesson.  The storm destroyed a ship at just the exact location where Paul was to continue his mission.

Have you had a storm in your life lately?  If so, I pray you had the faith to go through the storm.


Dear LORD, Somedays your children wonder if they can make it through the storms.  I pray you will lift them up and give them strength and courage.  I pray you will take away their fears and do not allow them to get discouraged.  LORD, open their hearts and their souls so they can feel your presence with every breath they take.  Send comfort so they know you are always with them.   Amen and Amen.

No comments: