Friday, January 19, 2018

BUT HOW

At our ladies discussion group, the question was:  How do we make 2018 better than 2017?  Of course the immediate answers were to be more thankful, be more compassionate, and be more…..

Those were the easy answers.  The quick replies.  Then I asked the question again, “How do we make 2018 better?”  The conversation stopped.  We each knew what would make it better.  It was the “how” that was causing the problem.

Usually there are six of us but last night there were only four.  One of the ladies had no problem looking forward to 2018 and knowing it would be better than 2017.  She had a rough 2017.  Two of the ladies had no major problems in 2017.  And my 2017 was so much more than I had expected.  The question remained:  How do we make 2018 better? 

More thankful – but how?  More compassionate – but how?  Manage our work schedule – but how?  Relax and enjoy life – but how?

And the elephant in the room?  Of course we each knew the answer.  We did not want to use the word.  We did not want to hear the word.  A six letter word that puts fear into our very soul. 

CHANGE

Take a deep breath.  It will be ok.  The word is out there now. 

Why do we so fear change?  To be honest, we change every day.  No two days are the same.  The weather changes.  The news – not going there!  Those we love change.  Our children grow up.  We grow older.  The shows on TV are different.  The music is different.  The cars we drive.  The food we eat.  The clothes we wear.  Our lives change every day.  So why are we so reluctant to answer the simple question:  How do we make 2018 better?

Why do we not want to answer?  Because the answer is I must change.  Not you.  Not the music industry.  Not our children or spouse or parents.  I must change.  AND I DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE! 

I want everything to stay the way I want it.  I want everything to be the way it has always been.  I can be more thankful, more compassionate, more … without changing.  I can.  I can. 

I cannot.  If I do not change, I do not grow.  I do not gain wisdom.  I just stay where I was yesterday.  Ten years ago.  Twenty years ago.  And, oh, how I would hate to be the person I was twenty years ago.  Ten years ago.  Or even yesterday. 

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD,
“plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a FUTURE.”
Jeremiah 29:11

Change is good!  The LORD has a FUTURE for me – for you.  He does not want us stuck in yesterday.  Nor ten years ago.  Nor twenty years ago.

A FUTURE!  Quit holding onto the past.  Use the word change as an adventure instead of something to fear. 


A FUTURE!  GO FOR IT WITH ENTHUSIASM AND JOY!

No comments: