Friday, March 16, 2018


A MEAL LIKE NO OTHER

The processional is over (see last week’s blog) and Jesus has been busy.  There was that incident at the temple where he sent all the dishonest sellers on their way.  Not in His Father’s house!  Jesus taught in the temple which made the temple leaders a whole lot nervous.  They just could not find a good way to have Jesus killed.  Enter Judas.

I have often wondered if Judas was ever a true believer.  He really, really wanted the Messiah to be a soldier not a peaceful healer and teacher.  Judas had sticky fingers and all the money given to the cause did not make it into the pouch. 

Then Satan entered Judas, called Iscariot, one of the Twelve.  And Judas went to the chief priests and the officers of the temple guard and discussed with them how he might betray Jesus.  They were delighted and agreed to give him money.  Luke 22:3-5

When you have a family get together, or a church has a pitch in meal, or you go to your favorite restaurant, do you expect it to be different than the last one?  Nope.  Same ole.  Same ole.  Jesus and his disciples would have eaten many meals together.  I am sure they did not expect this one to be any different than the others. 

But this one was different.

THE LAST SUPPER

Jesus got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist.  After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.  John 13:4-5

(No Jesus.  Not my feet.  I am not worthy.  Please do not touch my feet.  They are dirty.  They have stepped in sin.  I beg you – pass me by.    Oh, Jesus, why won’t you listen to me?  Do not kneel in front of me.  Your touch on my feet is so gentle.  Your love washes away the grime.  My tears are flowing as you dry my clean feet.  No Jesus.  Do not leave.  I want to feel your touch on my feet again.)

After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, “Very truly I tell you, one of you is going to betray me.”  John 13:21

(No Judas.  Think!!  Remember!!  Do you not remember all those that Jesus healed?  Did you not listen when he was teaching?  What are you thinking?  The money will mean nothing.  It is just coins!  Why are you going to do this?  Tell Satan no!  Please Judas.  Do not betray God’s Son.  Remember!! Think!!)

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”

Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you.  This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.  I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”  Matthew 26:26-29

(What are you talking about?  I do not understand.  No one can go without drinking.  You talk as if we will never see you again.  Never share a meal.  Your body?  Your blood?  Oh, my Jesus.  So much has been happening.  I have tried to listen to your every word.  I have watched your every move.  But I am confused.  I do not understand.  Maybe I can sit and talk with him tomorrow and he will explain.  Or maybe Peter can explain.  I just do not understand what is happening.  And why did Judas leave?  Is it true?  Will he betray Jesus?)

“You heard me say, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’  If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.  I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe.   John 14:28-29

(Going away?  But wait.  He also said coming back.  Breathe.  Take a deep breath.  I was afraid Jesus meant he was going away – for good.  We are leaving.  I wonder what will happen now.  How do I process this evening?  I thought this would be just the usual evening meal.)

=   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =

It was not the usual meal.  I would think nothing about Jesus was usual.  I have the whole story.  I know how it began and I know how it will end.  The disciples and those living with Jesus did not know.  Even though he tried to tell them.  Tried to show them, they did not understand.

I tried to put myself at that meal.  Tried to block the ending.  Tried to imagine what I would have thought.  How I would have felt.

Your turn now.  Close your eyes and put yourself at the Table.  Picture Jesus washing your feet.  Imagine Jesus handing you the bread.  The cup.  Feel it.  Make it real.  Because it was real.

No comments: