Friday, March 23, 2018


JESUS PRAYS

Have you ever listened to a family recall the same situation?  Each person remembers it a bit differently.  One remembers the food.  The other the weather.  The other the conversation.  It makes you wonder if they really were all together at the same time.  The Gospels tell about the same incident but each writer saw certain areas more important than others.  I am glad this happens.  One reason is that if each Gospel reported an incident word for word, I would doubt the truth of it.  No situation is remembered the same!  Another reason is that, we get the whole story.  The whole story, not just what one person thought was important enough to remember.

So, as I write today, please know this is taken from Matthew 26, Mark 14, Luke 22 and John 17.  It is not meant to be in exact order nor is it theologically correct.  (Sorry Pastor Larry)  Just like trying to put myself at the Last Supper, I want to walk with Jesus as he prepares himself.

<   <   <   <   <   >   >   >   >   >

JESUS PRAYS

(If I knew my life would soon end, I am not sure what I would pray for, but Jesus is Jesus to the very end.  He never quit talking to His Father.)

“Father, the hour has come.  Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you.  For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him.  Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.  I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do.  And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.”

(As I listen to Jesus pray I hear him call God “Father” and the words are gentle on my ears.  Jesus is using so many words he has used before but it is as if he is saying them for the last time.  Eternal life.  The only true God.  Sent by God.  Finishing the work.  Wait?  Finishing the work?  The work is not done.  Surely I did not hear correctly.  Maybe I drifted off for a minute.)

“…..For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them.  They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me.  I pray for them. ……..Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, ……. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. … Sanctify them by the truth; ....”

(My heart is full of joy and my heart is breaking.  Jesus is praying for his disciples.  He is telling God that they believe.  He is asking God to protect them.  To sanctify them.  Yes, joy to hear the love Jesus has for his disciples as he prays for them.  Breaking, because this is not sound like a joyous prayer.  Jesus sounds somber as if he will not be praying for them again.)

“…. I pray also for those who will believe in me … that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.  ….Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. …….. continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

(I believe.  Jesus is praying for me!  He wants me to know God.  Not just hear about him, but to know him.  Jesus said if I know him, I will know God.  I will know.  I will know!  But why is Jesus praying this now?)
(Jesus is no longer still.  He and the disciples are going to Gethsemane.)

“My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.  Yet not as I will, but as you will.”

(It is like his very soul is in despair.  When Jesus fell with his face to the ground, my heart broke.  What – What could make Jesus  -- so --.  A cup?  What cup?  I do not understand.  Is God asking Jesus to do something?  But what?  Does this have anything to do with Jesus saying “the hour has come”?  Do they will?)

“My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”

(God, do you not hear your Son?  He is asking you to take away whatever it is that is expected of him.  How as a father – how can you not give him this one thing?  Can you not see?  And even so, Jesus is ready to do your will.)

“Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.”

(God, I see the angel that is strengthening him.  Do you see that his sweat is like drops of blood?  Do you not see them?  They are there on the ground.  Please honor his request.  Please take the cup.  Please.)

“…. Look, the hour has come, and the Son of Man is delivered into the hands of sinners.  Rise!  Let us go!  Here comes my betrayer!”

(Asleep!  The disciples were asleep.  They did not pray with Jesus.  They did not give him comfort.  They did not hear his prayer.  They slept!  I do not understand why there are soldiers coming.  Jesus has done nothing wrong.  I am sure this will be fine, but those words are swirling in my head--- “your will be done.”)

<   <   <   <   <   >   >   >   >   >

I tried to be with Jesus as he prayed.  Tried to imagine what I would have thought.  How I would have felt.

It is your turn.  Be beside Jesus as he prays to his Father, prays for the disciples and prays for you.  Feel his pain as he is in the garden.  Feel his absolute trust in God as the Son accepted the cup.

No comments: