Friday, May 18, 2018


GOOD ENOUGH

Other than when I am working with numbers, I am not a perfectionist.  Often, good enough is fine.  Almost works.  No one will notice covers many situations. 

Believe me; more meals would be chopped than allowed into the next round.  Dusting around the edges would be normal and not the current, most likely short-lived, cleaning mode I am in.  (My grandkids would say our house is very clean even before I hit the edges.  Plus, I have convinced hubby dust is protecting the wood from ultraviolet sun rays.)  I love to sew, but can guarantee the teacher for home economics (That is what it was called in the 60’s – that would be the 1960’s not any century prior to that.) would shake her head and point out which seams had to be ripped out and sown again.  Yup.  I am not a perfectionist.

But I am trying to be perfect.  I want to be perfect – not at cooking or cleaning or sewing ---- I want to be perfect as a Christian.  I want to be the perfect Mary.  I want God to look down and say, “Oh my.  There is Mary.  There is my perfect little girl.”

I looked up scriptures with the word perfect, perfecter, perfecting, and perfection.  Not a single one contained my name or assured me I am perfect.  It must be a misprint!  Surely some monk came across that verse, thought, “Mary.  Perfect.  No way.”, and deleted it.  (Just kidding Pastor Larry.  I listened to you telling how meticulous those monks were with making sure every ‘i’ was dotted and every ‘t’ crossed.)

Jesus speaking:  Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Matthew 5:48

Oh great.  There is a verse telling me to be perfect.  Now what?

Okay.  Time to be serious. 

I read a number of commentaries on Matthew 5:48.  This excerpt written by James Burton Coffman explains:

No one can say that Christ did not set a high standard for man to follow! To be perfect as God is perfect, what a challenge this is! At the outset, every candid student of the Holy Scriptures should admit and understand that there is not the slightest possibility of his ever graduating from this school, "Magna cum Laude"! Nobody, but nobody is ever going to be perfect; and yet, it is the genius of the Christian religion that perfection is required of its adherents. A contradiction? No, only a paradox. The goal or ideal is necessary that man may continually know that he is unworthy of salvation, that he can never in a million years merit it, and that any real perfection he might eventually attain must be the free gift of Christ.

Nevertheless, how boldly Christ flung down the challenge! PERFECTION.

I am to be perfect AS the heavenly Father is perfect.  First, I know I am not perfect.  Second, I know I will not be perfect until I hear the words, “Welcome home Mary.” Third, I can try.

To be perfect AS the heavenly Father, I need to learn His wisdom, His goodness, His truthfulness, His love, His mercy, His grace, His forgiveness, ----- and extend those to everyone I meet. 

Am I up to the challenge?  I am going to do my best! 

BECAUSE, to not aim to be AS perfect as the heavenly Father is settling for good enough or almost. 

AND to not aim to be AS perfect as the heavenly Father will guarantee that others will notice when they hear me called a Christian.

No comments: