Friday, March 29, 2019


OH WHAT FUN

There are so many ways to have fun but one of my favorites is called:  EMBARRASS YOUR HUSBAND AND KIDS.

Over the years, I have become quite accomplished in this area.  Sadly, this game only works when they are actually embarrassed.

YOU ARE WEARING WHAT TO CHURCH

Hubby would not walk into church with me the morning I did the children’s story dressed like a clown.  He actually shrunk down into the pew when I stopped beside a totally bald man and polished his head.  (At that time, hubby still had hair so I could not polish his head.  Oh my, that would have sent him through the floor.)  The bald man, on the other hand, took it in stride.

It takes a lot for me to embarrass him now.  He even helps set up pictures when I take Norman Frog on vacation with us.  (For any that do not know, Norman is a stuffed frog that has his own Instagram account.)  He has, pretty much, gotten used to my antics and I am not sure what it would take for him to say, “Honestly, Mary.  You just had to do that didn’t you?” 

TALKING TO STRANGERS

I talk to everyone.  It does not matter if I know them.  Why miss out on a good conversation with a stranger while standing in line at the concert?  Or on the plane?  Or on a cruise?  Or at breakfast.  This used to embarrass our little boy to death!  I would hear a sigh and then the question, “DO YOU HAVE TO TALK TO EVERYONE?”

Well, not now.  He has become my clone.  Our son and I went on a cruise and I swear this kid who thought I was being “nosey” quickly knew half the people on the ship.  As we walked around, he would nod to someone and tell me they were from Canada or Texas or they worked for Amazon or some other fact about them.  No longer could I use talking to strangers to get to him.  I must figure out a new way to get under his skin.

STANDING OUT IN A CROWD

My voice can get a bit loud and, over the years, I have heard, “Mom, everyone is looking.”  Our daughter was and, still is, the easiest to embarrass.  Last Saturday though, she never even blinked.

We were in an antique store in Michigan and she saw a table she liked.  It was then that she made a mistake.  “Mom, will you guard the table while I go ask about it?”  Silly girl!  You see, I found another person who enjoys life.  This seemingly normal woman strolled by the table and I told her, “I am guarding this for my daughter.”  And – are you ready?  She said, “Oh, I should act like I want it.”  As daughter was returning, we began:  I think I like this table.  “No.  My daughter is asking about it and I am holding it for her.”  There is no sold sign.  I want this table.  “There will be a sign as soon as she gets here.”  She is not here now.  “Yes she is.  Tell her this is sold.” 

Embarrassed?  Not in the least.  She smiled at both of us, knowing it was a performance for the embarrass you daughter game.  Drat!  What fun was that?

I DO NOT KNOW THAT PERSON

The embarrass your family game can be fun but sometimes people do not want to admit they know you.  They are embarrassed.

“You also were with the Nazarene, Jesus,” she said.

But he denied it.  “I don’t know or understand what you’re talking about,” he said. ….. Again he denied it. ….. “I don’t know this man you’re talking about.”

Mark 14: parts of 67 -71


QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Have you ever been embarrassed to admit you know someone?

Are you embarrassed to admit you know Jesus?

No comments: