Friday, May 31, 2019


MUSIC

What kind of music do you like?  Classical?  Rap?  Rock-n-Roll?  Old?  New?

A couple weeks ago, I wrote on the power of words and this morning I got to thinking about the power of music:  Love it.  Hate it.  So..so.  Strong.  Quiet.  All words that could be used to describe what you might think of a particular song.  I do not like classical music!  It would be pure torture if I had to sit through a concert of Bach.  Bach, to me, is dark and depressing, as if someone is pushing me down and down and down.  It affects other people just the opposite.  Music is personal.

A Garth Brooks’ concert sells out in minutes and the crowd sings along on Friends in Low Places.  I am part of a crowd.  It is loud.  There is extreme energy.  It is an experience and, when I try to sleep, the lights, the sound, and the energy run through my head.

When Jimmy Fortune sings The Wall, visions of flags and military boots and dog tags appear in my heart.  The Viet Nam War was fought by young men and women my age.  My heart cringes when I think about how those returning soldiers were treated.  The Wall – too many names – too many.

The song In the Garden brings a very clear picture of my grandma.  She walked with Jesus.  She talked with Jesus.  I can close my eyes and imagine her sitting on a bench, holding Jesus hand, and quietly talking to Him. 

Neil Diamond’s Sweet Caroline makes me crank up the volume.  Loud!  It needs to be loud!  I am..I said, Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show, Cracklin’ Rosie – I am a fan and have been to three of his concerts.  I did not go the last time he was nearby.  I have great memories of his butt being rated a 10 (Yes.  That was the headline in the Indianapolis paper after his first concert there:  Women Rate Neil’s Butt A 10.) and of his voice.  I wanted to keep those memories.  I still turn Mr. Diamond up loud.  I would not want the neighbors to miss out on those three notes leading to Sweet Caroline…Good times never seemed so good.

Yes, music has power. Musical notes arranged in the correct order, can lift your spirit or make you cry or make you remember or

make you say, “Here I am Lord … Is it I Lord … I will go Lord.”  Musical notes arranged in the correct order have the power to touch your soul.

Please enjoy my favorite song, sang by Danial O’Donnell.

Here I Am Lord



No comments: