Friday, July 19, 2019


Do versus With

It seems I have been very occupied lately.  I have been doing a lot for God.  Well, maybe not for God, but what I have been doing is … Maybe it would be easier if I explain.

DO FOR

I do love spending time on the computer.  I like to google and I can research for hours.  I like to use power point to create fun pictures.  All this led me to work with our church’s Facebook page and set up a new website.  There is cartoon each Monday and songs each Wednesday, on Facebook.  They do not appear on their own, which means I have looked at cartoons and videos – all Christian – to find just the right fit.  And I have had fun.  I have spent many hours putting together a way to spread the word about God.  Hey, this is the age of social media,   Social media – a way to connect and interact with the congregation and a way to spread the word about our church.  A way to inform those seeking where we are, what we believe, and what we do.  Yes, I have been very occupied lately.  Of course, this is all for God.  It must be a good thing.  Right?

My time is used to encourage others to come to church.  My time is used….

But, in the back of my mind, I get this nagging feeling I am missing something.  The feeling makes no sense.  I go to church and Sunday School.  I listen to Christian music.  How can I be missing anything?  But the feeling is still there.  It will not go away.  Something is missing!

WHAT IS MISSING?

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.  She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.  But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made.  She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself?  Tell her to help me!”
“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”               Luke 10:38-42

“Does this scripture help you, Mary?”

Yes … but, if I don’t …

“If you don’t what?”

Honestly!  Which way do you want it?  We are to serve!  Didn’t you like the food Martha prepared?  Wasn’t it nice to have her home opened to you?   Do you think it cleaned itself?  Someone had to sweep the floor and get the groceries.  That cheesecake she has ready for dessert did not magically appear.  It is not like when you changed the water to wine.  She could not look at the pan and say, “Fill with cheesecake.” 

“Mary …”

And ..

“Oh, you were not done?”

No I am not!  We are to follow Matthew 25:  feed the hungry, give a drink to the thirsty, invite the stranger in, give away clothes, take care of the sick, and go visit those in prison.  How are we to do that and sit at your feet and listen?  You do know there are only 24 hours in the day, don’t you?

“A rhetorical question – good one.  I see you still have a sense of humor.  Let’s figure this out.  Start with the word balance:  to keep something in a steady position so that it does not fall.  So?”

OH!  (Light bulb moment.)  This nagging feeling is because I have not balanced do for and be with?  The something missing is time with you?  That seems too simple.

“Final question:  What happens when you spend time with me?”

My spirit calms.  My Soul listens.  My path is easier to see.  Yes, time with you is what I am missing.

BE WITH

Jesus had a lot to do, but he took time to be with God. 

After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray.
When evening came, he was there alone,     Matthew 14:23

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.     Mark 1:35

After leaving them, he went up on the mountainside to pray.     Mark 6:46

But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.     Luke 5:16

One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God.     Luke 6:12

After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed …
for himself, for his disciples, for all believers     John 17


Balancing to do and be with means to keep my life in a steady position so I do not have a nagging feeling that I am missing something.

How do you balance doing for and being with God?

No comments: