Friday, July 26, 2019


THE PHONE RINGS -- AGAIN

Hubby picked fresh green beans so I was preparing a meal our ancestors would approve of.  (We often laugh and comment that our grilled cheese and tomato soup would not be considered a proper meal.  The main meal was to include meat, potatoes, at least one vegetable and dessert.)  Today would be a proper meal!

The hamburger was thawed and I began making the meat loaf.  The phone rang and, since it was a local number, I answered it.  “This is credit card services…” 

I finished the meat loaf and began snapping green beans.  The phone range and, since it was a different local number, I answered it.  “This is credit card services…” 

Our meal was over and, if I do say so myself, it was extremely tasty.  Left overs were cooling, the table was cleared, hubby was doing the dishes (Bless his heart.) and --- YUP!  The phone range and, since it was a local number, hubby answered it.  He kept saying, “I cannot understand you.”  He hung up.  A determined telemarketer tried again.  Again, hubby hung up.

Those dreaded scam phone calls – We have received calls telling us:
  • You have won one million dollars.  Send $895 to process your winnings.  The next call was:  Did I say one million dollars?  I am sorry, it is five million.  Send $895 to process your winnings.
  • There are new terms on your credit card.
  • This is google services.
  • This is Microsoft.
  • This is Apple.
  • This is Marriott.
  • You have won a cruise.
  • You have won a week’s stay at a resort.
  • Silver is a good investment.
  • Gold is a good investment.
  • Do you need windows?  Siding?  A new driveway?  A pool?
  • You need to call this number immediately to verify a credit card purchase.

WHAT?  You want my Social Security number?  My bank account number?  The three digit code on the back of my credit card?  I am ready to rip the phone off the wall!! 

HELP!! We are drowning in scam calls!

I WANT SOMEONE TO STOP THESE CALLS!!  And no one does. 

I started looking up scriptures and Psalm 108:12 sure fits the comment above.  Smiling, I read:  Give us aid against the enemy (telemarketers), for the help of man is worthless.

WHERE DO WE TURN FOR HELP

Okay.  In the grand scheme of things – the big picture – the long run – considering the universe, telemarketers are but a mere annoyance.  There are so many important things in our lives which cause us to yell, “HELPplease help.”  We each have a different reason for seeking help, and the Psalms give us direction.

David cried for help and God heard him. 

In my distress I called to the LORD; I cried to my God for help.  From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears.  Psalm 18:6

Israel turned to God.  Israel turned away from God.  Enemies threatened Israel.  BUT God was always there.  AND GOD WINS!

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. ….. “Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
Psalm 46:1, 10

God heard David.  God watched over Israel.  GOD HEARS YOU AND HE WATCHES OVER YOU.  (Note:  Watching over does not mean your life will suddenly become a piece of cake.  What it means is you are not alone.  There is a power surrounding you.  There is a strength that will not fail.  There is help for every fear and every situation.  That presence, that power, and that strength is God!)

PSALM 121 – made personal

I life up my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.

He will not let my foot slip – he who watches over me will not slumber.
Indeed, he who watches over me will neither slumber nor sleep.

The LORD watches over me – the LORD is my shade at my right hand;
the sun will not harm me by day, nor the moon by night.

The LORD will keep me from all harm – he will watch over my life;
the LORD will watch over my coming and going;
both now and forevermore.

There are so many important things in our lives which cause us to yell, “HELPplease help.”  We each have a different reason for seeking help, but the source of our help is the same:  God. 

No comments: