Friday, October 18, 2019


CHOSEN

Our Sunday School class has started a new study.  The class members suggest a Bible story or Bible verses to discuss.  The object is to look at these verses, “see” the people, look at what was happening, discuss how and why the person reacted as they did, and understand the story or the verses better.

One suggestion was the chapters in Matthew and Luke which tell of the birth of Jesus.  And we began with Zechariah.  Last Sunday we talked about Mary.  Toward the end of the discussion, I pointed out that each person, we would be discussing, was chosen for a specific reason.  Their lives intertwined as they walked, with faith and obedience, on the path God chose for them.

Then my mind went, “Oh that applies to us too.  We are to walk on God’s path and our lives intertwine with and influence others.”  I drew something like this:




My goodness!  Just like Zechariah and Mary, those in class were right there on the path God had prepared for them.  Well…except for Mary (The Mary that writes this blog.).  Seems like I took a detour.  Made a path of my own.

A question was asked:  Do you get a chance to get back on the path?

Answer:  A chance?  More than that.  God gave me a second chance.  Then a third chance.  Eventually, God got out the 2 X 4 with my name on it, whacked me over the head, and I finally got it.  Now I am on God’s path.  I am where I belong.




But what about the time I was not where I belonged?  What happened during that time?  What happened?  I grieved God.  (Oh, how I hate to use that phrase.  How it broke my heart the first time I read Ephesians 4:30 and felt the words do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God.) 

During the time I was on my path – was there one person I let down?  Was there someone I was to help?  Or just listen to?  Was I supposed to pray for someone?  Was there a child I was to help?  Did I not call someone?  Did someone suffer because I was off doing my thing instead of God’s?  Was there an angel ready to give me a message – a job -- an assignment – and I missed it? 

As I look at Zechariah, Mary, Joseph, Elizabeth, the shepherd’s, Simeon, Anna, the wise men, and John the Baptist, I realize each was chosen, each was obedient, and each faithfully followed the path God had planned for them.

NEWS FLASH

GOD HAS CHOSEN YOU TOO! ! !
ARE YOU ON HIS PATH?  OR YOURS?

No comments: